eHealth Africa designs and implements data-driven solutions and technologies to improve health systems for and with local communities. eHA’s technology works in low connectivity settings and uses data to drive decision-making by local governments and partner agencies to get optimum results.
Senior Software Developer (Geospatial)
Department: Geographic Information Systems
Employment Type: Full-Time National Employee
Purpose of the position
- The Senior GIS Developer provides dedicated leadership and support to the eHealth Africa’s (eHA) GIS & data analytics application development projects.
- S/he works as part of a product team to develop and build web and mobile applications to support targeted workflows, projects, and programs being supported by ehealth Africa.
What you’ll do
The Senior GIS Developer will support eHA’s GIS & Analytics department under the supervision of the Technical Lead, GIS & Analytics Development predominantly by performing the following:
- Develop desktop, mobile and web GIS applications to support internal and external projects at eHealth Africa
- Support the development of web services, data analytics products and data portals at eHealth Africa
- Liaise with internal and external clients to perform proper requirement gathering
- Collaborate with other eHealth Africa’s Software development teams to ensure adequate support for all GIS & Analytics development needs
- Contribute to the development of OpenSource GIS applications, tools, and capabilities at eHealth Africa
- Mentor junior developers to understand technical concepts and overcome technical challenges that they may face from time to time.
- Maintain a collegial, collaborative and accessible working style
- Perform any other duties assigned by management.
Who you are:
- At least a Bachelor's Degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems, Surveying and Geoinformatics, Geography or other related field
- Minimum of 2 years GIS development experience and 5 years of software engineering experience
- Solid experience of developing using Python and related python geo-libraries and framework
- Experience in developing web and mobile GIS applications using open source GIS solutions e.g. Geoserver, MapServer, OpenLayers
- Experience with PostgreSQL/PostGIS, Neo4j
- Working knowledge of developing restful web services and Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Experience working in a team environment with Github (creating branches, merging branches, cherry-picking commits, reverting commits, stashing, squash merging, tagging, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Carto visualization platform
- Working knowledge of Agile development tools (JIRA)
- Familiarity with test driven development
- Familiarity with best practices in coding and design including enterprise patterns.
- Cultural sensitivity, sound judgment, and a strong interest in working in a demanding and intellectually challenging environment, with the organizational ability to handle multiple tasks around ambitious deadlines
- International work experience is a plus
- Ability to identify and promote best practices
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, organizational skills and great attention to detail. Ability to work in collaboration with others on a project team and independently on tasks
- Must be able to work as a leader and member of a team and possess good problem-solving skills
- Good learning ability. Action-oriented and resilient in a fast-paced environment.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can become louder at times due to group discussions or activities. eHA is a tobacco-free environment.
Impact & Quality:
- We work on solving big problems. We believe in the power of technology to make a transformational difference in health systems, and we know that when we do high-quality work, we have the opportunity to change lives in the communities we impact.
- We maintain a worldview driven by possibilities, not limitations. We build smart systems that will sustain beyond our tenures. We challenge prevailing assumptions, respect the urgency of the environments we operate in and take smart risks to search for the best solution.
- We care intensely about what we do, and about whom we do it with. We inspire others with our tenacity and commitment to our communities and each other.
- We are honest with our communities, our partners, our donors, and ourselves. We communicate with candor, respect, and humility. We are quick to admit our own mistakes, and work to correct them with openness & expediency.
Growth & Learning:
- We embrace curiosity. We pursue and promote continuous learning, share our skills and knowledge, and actively work to make ourselves and those around us better.
- We work to become part of the fabric of the communities in which we work. We value our seat at the table and invest in the places we call home.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Note: Above all - We believe strongly in our mission and our core values and our teams are most successful when they do also.