Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Start date: As Soon As Possible
Direct Line Manager: Emergency Coordinator
Tasks and Responsibilities
Objective 1 - Contribute to deliberations on strategy and the positioning of the WASH Department:
- Conduct a systematic and thorough analysis of the humanitarian situation in respect of WASH and of the context of intervention in his/her field of activity;
- Internal dissemination of information gathered and its analysis to the Multi-sectoral PM and the Regional WASH Coordinator;
- Setting up projects consistent with the AAH Charter, the policies of WASH and other AAH sectors, national strategic and other legal texts produced by ministers responsible for the WASH sector, and key international documents in the sector (Standards SPHERE and WHO, etc.);
- Ensuring that teams have a clear understanding of these documents;
- Promoting transversal integration of the WASH sector with other sectors, in collaboration with the Multi-sectorial PM.
Objective 2 - Identify needs and contribute to project elaboration:
- Identifying humanitarian needs in the field of WASH and in his/her area of activity;
- Drawing recommendations from needs assessments for the definition of programs (location, modalities of implementation, context...);
- Participation in defining WASH programs taking into account logistics, administration, other areas of intervention, partners etc;
- Contributing to the writing of the WASH sections of project proposals.
Objective 3 - Set up, implement and report on WASH projects:
- Setting up of the WASH program(s) taking into account the logical framework of the program(s), the budget, and the logistical and administrative processes of AAH;
- Identifying the technical constraints associated with the implementation of the projects;
- Proposing innovative technical solutions in response to such constraints;
- Preparing in time to meet deadlines the WASH components of external and internal reports relating to his/her projects, Monthly quarterly and final reports..;
- Identifying and implementing safety measures for both the teams and the wider population (building sites, community-based sites …)
Objective 4 - Contribute to the quality, accountability and impact measurement process of his/her program:
- Promoting and contributing to learning and improvement of quality (internal evaluation and joint visits);
- Implementing complaints procedures for ethical and transparency reasons, particularly in respect of the beneficiary populations;
- Support the team in ensuring the quality of implementation and accountability of all the team.
Objective 5 - Participate in the coordination, representation and partnerships of ACF in his/her area of intervention:
- Coordination of activities with other sectors and departments of AAH in order to ensure rational use of resources and optimum integration;
- Representing AAH and ensuring coordination with partners, the authorities, agencies of the United Nations and NGOs in his/her sector, in collaboration with the Multi-sectoral PM;
- Contributing to the process of selecting partners, formalizing partnerships and enhancing their capabilities (Local NGOs, international NGOs, national authorities, private agencies etc...) and reinforcing their capabilities.
Objective 6-Supervise and manage the team:
- Recruitment of his/her team, Proper induction, minimum wash package training before start working;
- Team management (leadership, monitoring, motivation);
- Objective setting and Evaluation of team members;
- Staff development of team members, build the capacity of the team.
Objective 7 - Contributing to capitalization and technical development in his/her sector:
- Capitalization of program-related data and documentation of the innovations achieved;
- Dissemination of the technical and operational expertise acquired in the course of the program;
- Contributing to the upward transmission of data from the ground the better to inform AAH communications.
Internal & External Relationship
- Multi-sectorial PM: hierarchical relationship
- Regional WASH Coordinator: functional management – technical support
- WASH team in the field of intervention: hierarchical relationship and technical support
- Other Program Managers (FSL/MHCP/NUT) at the level of the base: collaboration (integrated approach) and information exchange
- Support departments at the level of the base: collaboration and exchange of information
- Local authorities: communication, exchange of information in collaboration with the Field Coordinator and the Multi-sectorial Program Manager
- Local Technical Coordination: lobbying, animation et leadership
- Other NGO's: partnerships and technical exchanges or sharing of experience
- Population and beneficiaries: definition of needs, targeting, communication and exchange of information.
- Degree in WASH-related studies (Engineering, Public Health, Geology etc.) with 3 years of professional experience in the humanitarian sector
Skills & Experience
- Capacity building and remote management.
- WASH Emergency response capacity.
- Team Management
- Interpersonal skills (Professional, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and culturally sensitive, ability to manage local staff in a mature and impartial manner)
- Ability to work under pressure in a volatile security context.
- Energy and stamina to withstand long working hours and often stressful conditions.