- Study at London’s Top University - MDX. Tuition from just $5000 and 4 campuses. Learn more
Data Coordinator at UNDP
Posted on: 11 June, 2019
Deadline: 16 June, 2019
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at UNDP
The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) is a United Nations office that was established in 1997 as the Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention by combining the United Nations International Drug Control Program (UNDCP) and the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Division in the United Nations Office at Vienna. It is a member of the United Nations Development Group and was renamed the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime in 2002.
Job ID: 23917
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area - Job Family: Democratic Governance
Vacancy Type: FTA International
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- The growth of violent extremism and instability does not only have a devastating impact on communities in different types of the country, it also sets in motion a dramatic reversal of development gains already made as well as a reversal of prospects of development for decades to come.
- Continuous monitoring and data collection on the evolution of root causes at the most local level is crucial to inform early warning, adjust interventions to maximize preventive effects and initiate new thematic approaches. UNDP Nigeria will establish a Knowledge Hub, that primarily collects data and analysis to inform the interventions esp. in the area of PVE, conflict prevention and human security.
- The Knowledge Hub will consist of three functions that work in mutual complementarity, cross-pollination and strong collaboration, which is required because of the highly specialized individual expertise in each of these function
- Data Analysis, which will focus on collection of primary data, establishment and maintenance of a database of ‘development intelligence’, the analysis of the data collected as well as reporting of the data results. This function will include five data analysts specializing in the following areas: big data, GIS/geospatial analysis, visualization, surveys and econometrics/social sciences.
- Reporting & Programming, which will produce reports and tools using primary data collected into ongoing and future programming of the entire UNDP Country office, especially in the domains of PVE, conflict prevention, and human security.
- Manage strategic partnerships with third party (local) researchers throughout Nigeria, as well as with local and international (academic) institutions for quality assurance of the knowledge products.
- The Data Coordinator will provide overall guidance and management for the Knowledge Hub, including the strategic/thematic direction of data collection, analysis, and reporting by the Hub. He/she will also contribute to the work of all Units in the domain of data analysis (statistical/economic regression) and provides strategic guidance to the hub.
- The Coordinator will report directly to the UN Resident Representative (RR) in Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic guidance and management of the Knowledge Hub:
- Manage the development of a research platform with independent capacity for primary data collection, analysis, visualization and reporting regarding root causes for violent extremism and insecurity in Nigeria;
- Lead recruitment of high-quality (international and national) experts for database development/maintenance, big data analysis, spatial analysis, and data visualization, as well as specialists in the field of monitoring and evaluation and partnerships management;
- Supervises the Hub Staff, provides coaching and technical assistance;
- Based on recent researches of UNCT Nigeria as well as available data from international development partners on root causes of VE and insecurity, undertake a gap analysis informing the strategic direction of first-year thematic priorities for the Hub;
- Design multi-annual project strategy/project document for the Knowledge Hub;
- Develop and maintain close research collaboration with academics, researchers in universities and think tanks, as well as in the UN system;
- Provides strategic direction and specialized technical advice to the UN RR and senior management on target audience and thematic/geographical direction for Knowledge Hub research products;
- Ensures timely and adequate reporting against plans, including progress reports to the UN RR in Nigeria.
- Support development of statistical and econometric models informing primary data collection and analysis by the Knowledge Hub, with highly specialized advice;
- Inform development of a database for ‘development intelligence’ by database experts;
- Oversee analysis of primary and secondary data to inform programming of UNDP and UNCT in Nigeria;
- Ensure political and ethical sensitivity in data collection and dissemination of (primary) data to third parties;
- Capture and disseminate lessons learnt and best practices to contribute to learning to collect development intelligence’ beyond Nigeria.
Partnership building and outreach for the Knowledge Hub:
- Provide guidance for the creation of static and interactive data visualizations accessible for public awareness raising/a global general audience;
- Provide strategic direction for the dissemination of research products from the Knowledge Hub, based on known interest from UN-agencies, international development partners and/or practitioners on the ground;
- Ensure complementarity of the work of the Knowledge Hub with other data (collection/analysis/reporting) capacities internally and externally;
- Identify opportunities to expand the dissemination network of research products from the Knowledge Hub and engage new consumers of the primary data;
- Support the development of tailored data-driven external communications products;
- Advocates for the work of the Knowledge Hub and represents the Knowledge Hub with project partners, the donor community and international organizations, with the objective to inform development programming with primary data.
- Innovation Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Leadership Ability to persuade others to follow.
- People Management Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Communication Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Delivery Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Professionalism Professional competence and mastery of subject matter, including in-depth technical knowledge of development assistance issues and development financial tracking.
- Planning & Organizing Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies, identifies priorities and foresees risks through contingency planning.
- Teamwork Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
- Partnerships Establishing, maintaining and utilizing a broad network of contacts. Building partnerships and strategic alliances. Leveraging the resources of national governments and other international /development partners for the Knowledge Hub.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree (Masters' or equivalent) in Economics, Econometrics, Data Visualization, Quantitative Methods in Social Sciences or Monitoring and Evaluation, or other closely related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible professional experience in data analysis, data visualization, econometric analysis and research (primary and secondary) in a development context.
- Practical experience in initiating and coordinating collection of primary data, analysis and reporting of primary data for evidence-based program development.
- Experience commissioning of projects, ability to collaborate and coordinate with highly technical specialists in the field of quantitative methodologies, data collection, databases and visualization.
- Proven record of quantitative analytical skills with big datasets and building econometric and statistical models.
- Proven data analysis skills and working with different types of data (survey data, economic/social data, spatial data).
- Proven experience in field research from developing robust and sound methodologies for collection of data, overseeing and monitoring implementation of data collection, cleaning, analysis, visualization/presentation of research results.
- Proficiency in the use of statistical programs such as R, SAS or STATA, including the use of data visualization packages.
- Proven record of creating (statistic and interactive) and presenting data visualizations and infographics, including the use of software such as Tableu, Chart.js, Adobe (Indesign, Illustrator).
- Proven record of knowledge of GIS software and spatial data analysis.
- Outstanding writing, editing and fact-checking skills, as well attention for details.
- Critical attitude and ability to review/provide comments on knowledge products.
- Proven political/scientific-ethical sensitivity.
Disclaimer: Important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders)
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Recent Jobs from UNDP
- View jobs posted the same day by this employer in a single thread »
- Head of Stabilization at UNDP
- Operations Manager - Stabilisation Service Centre (SSC) at UNDP
- Know More About UNDPSimilar Jobs
- Project Implementation Engineer at Netcom Africa
- Graphics Designer at Hubmart Stores Limited
- Application Developer at Willers Solutions
- IT Application Developer at Main One Cable
- Senior DevOps Engineer at Gokada Incorporated
- Senior Deployment Field Engineer at Weco Systems International Limited
- Computer Network Administrator at Presto Integrated Solutions
- Information Technology (IT) and Digital Marketing Analyst at Nextier Capital Limited