Helpman is a research and development enterprise. Through our cluster of nonprofit think-tanks, we identify emerging knowledge needs, stimulate knowledge creation and harness innovation for the benefit of economy and society. We apply frontier knowledge and tools to help organizations eliminate operational wastes, expedite knowledge development and enlarge product spaces. Our clientele traverses private and public sectors and our work spans various areas including agriculture, natural resources, industry and trade, healthcare, education, community services and governance
Who we seek
We seek two recent graduates to join our 12-month internship program. Through rigorous learning and doing complimented by personalized training and supervision, we prepare interns responsibly for a career in research and development. The location of this internship is Abuja.
What you’ll learn
- Concepts – various development issues and topics in your sector of interest including public health and health systems, agriculture, labour, industry, trade and population studies
- Methods – various approaches including quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods, framing research questions, protocol development
- Data – management and analysis, mathematical and statistical analyses, data visualization and use of relevant statistical packages
- Writing and documentation – translating raw findings into reports, preparing high-quality briefs, and grant writing
What you’ll do
- Conduct structured reviews, data analysis and interpretation, policy discussions etc.
- Share learnings and findings in form of scheduled presentations and workshops
- Train and build capability of junior cohorts
- What you’ll gain
- Ability to conduct policy and goal-oriented research in your sector of interest
- Proficiency in data handling, analysis, interpretation and visualization
- Ability to write scientifically, for funding, publications and policy.
Who you are:
- A graduate with CGPA of at least 4.0/5.0 from a Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) course or economics. In the case of economics, a strong background in microeconomic theory and an applied microeconomics course (such as labor economics or industrial organization) is preferred.
- Self-driven – able to make progress and solve problems with little guidance
- Able to multi-task and work in a manner that meets stated timelines
- Have strong passion for success and sufficient faith in the Nigeria project
- Ability to handle and manipulate large amounts of data
- An excellent person – hating mediocrity in every shape and form
- A person with great attention to detail and well organized
- A quick learner and able to obtain information promptly from online sources.
How You’ll work
- You will be expected to work 40 hours a week in addition to training hours
- This is a non-salaried position. However, we will offer competitive internship allowance.
- An environment free from discrimination that accelerates career growth.
- Freedom of expression of thoughts, ideas and contribution to discussions.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download Cover Letter and CV/Resume template below and send in one document to: firstname.lastname@example.org as an attachment.
Cover letter and CV/Resume Template (Doc)
- Click Here to Download cover letter and CV/Resume Template. The cover letter should be on the first page only, and the CV/resume on pages 2 and 3 only.
- When you have completed the template, save as pdf with Helpman Internship followed by your first name and surname e.g. "Helpman Internship Debby John"
- When sending the email, the title should be Helpman Internship followed by your first name and surname e.g. "Helpman Internship Debby John". Do not write anything in the body of the email.
- Your cover letter should explain in simplest terms how you meet the requirements in “Who you are” above. Please do not replicate what you have already in your CV/resume.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Your CV/resume must reflect residence in Abuja.