Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world.
Case Management Coordinator (National Position)
Job Ref: 190000MO
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- This role will manage Child Protection projects in Maiduguri, Borno State within the Save the Children country program.
- The Child Protection Coordinator will have overall responsibility for project activities including supporting the coordination of effective and efficient planning, implementation and monitoring of the project at field level.
- The child protection program is currently focused on Case management, psychosocial support (which includes the provision of psychosocial support to children through community based child protection networks and child friendly spaces), community strengthening and capacity building for the staff and ministry staff.
- In close collaboration with the Children CP Advisor, manage project field activities, ensuring project objectives are being achieved and ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness of our field work.
- Working closely with the CP Advisor, ensure that the project implementation strategy is clearly understood by the implementing teams, and ensure that project plans and strategies are adhered to during implementation,
- Facilitate all trainings on case management for case workers
- Collate and compile all work plans and share with CP Manager weekly.
- Conduct referral and protection mapping (any other assessments)
- Lead the formation and initial training of foster parents
- Ensure meetings and activities hold monthly
- Ensure all documentation, reports, and records are maintained per agreed procedure, and information is provided on community activities as required.
- Facilitate mentoring and coaching of case workers on various topics, as outlined in the implementation plan.
- Ensure all cases are case managed with confidentiality clause adhered to
- Coordinate case conference meetings
- Daily supervision of the Child protection case workers.
- Ensure that case workers are trained on UASC and registration of the children
- Ensure the quality of the case management tools
- Participate in the CP assessment and analysis process
- In coordination with the CP team, support regular participatory activities with different groups of children to identify issues affecting children in project locations and assists team to develop appropriate responses.
- Must adhere to the child safeguarding and protection policies and reporting standards.
- Write and submit weekly activity reports.
- Other ad hoc tasks as requested by Line Manager.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Actively listens to different perspectives and experiences of stakeholders
- Actively participates in networks to access and contribute to good practice
- Establishes and maintains clear communication and dialogue with disaster and conflict affected people and other stakeholders
- Establishes clear objectives with partners
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Commitment to Save the Children Values
- Understanding humanitarian contexts and application of humanitarian principles:
- Ensure that programme goals and activities uphold the principles of the key national and international humanitarian frameworks, codes and commitments
- Integrates beneficiary accountability principles into the approach
- Participates in disaster coordination mechanisms and interagency cooperation mechanisms
Leadership: Action; Thinking; Self; Inspiring; Developing Others:
- Demonstrates approachability and trust by listening carefully to others and valuing their contribution, and making others feel comfortable by being open and honest about their thoughts and feelings
- Demonstrates self-development and management by taking responsibility for own development, and actively seeking out feedback to better understand their own strengths and weaknesses
- Makes positive statements about work
- Effectively influences others by understanding their interests and showing how they will be met by own preferred solution
- Gives constructive feedback to enhance capabilities and responsibilities to partners and others
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors or Master's Degree in Social Work or relevant field experience.
- At least three (4) years post NYSC relevant experience in child protection programming
- Demonstrable commitment to a holistic vision of children’s welfare
- Substantial management experience, preferably in emergencies
- Excellent written and spoken English; local language skills a major advantage
- Demonstrable competence in report writing
- Experience of financial planning and expenditure monitoring as applied to grants management
- Experience of working with communities, and supporting their participation, ownership and empowerment
- Strong representational and communication skills sensitive to the cultural and military/political environment
- The ability to plan and ensure the implementation of projects, and to oversee the management and report on resources effectively.
- Able to work calmly under pressure in a rapidly changing context
- Proven team management skills
- Adaptability and flexibility; ability and willingness to live in the field
- Competent in Outlook, Word and Excel
- Commitment to upholding Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy, and other Global Policies.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.