INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Duty Station: Banki, Ngala; Borno State– North East Nigeria (100% field)
Starting date: 15 th January 2019
Duration of contract: 9 months
Reporting to: Livelihood Officer
2. General context of the project
The Armed Opposition Group (AOG) started in 2009 and Maiduguri was the epicentre of the armed conflict. The armed conflict later spread to all twenty-seven (27) Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Borno State, North East
Nigeria. The conflict took an international dimension as it spread to the neighbouring countries of Cameroun, Niger and Chad, resulting in the displacement of millions of people across all four frontiers. The Armed Opposition Group (AOG) has been killing people in both rural and urban centres in their quest to form a hairline Islamic State in the
north east of Nigeria. A high number of towns and cities have been burned and destroyed. Social services and amenities have also been destroyed and are now non-existent. Agricultural activities which used to be the source of
food security and livelihoods among the rural communities of the North East are no longer existent. Joint military operations by Cameroun, Nigeria, Chad and Niger have resulted in the liberation of 15 LGAs.
3. Tasks and responsibilities
The Livelihood Assistant should provide field activity support and implementation. He should promotes and
values participatory approaches throughout the project cycle (identification of beneficiaries, awareness raising and sensitisation, Livelihood project activities, Pre and Post Activities Monitoring (PDM) as well as monitoring and
evaluation under direct supervision of Livelihood Coordinator.
- Assist in all the Livelihood activities including Livelihood beneficiary targeting, and general program implementation.
- Conduct training and sensitisation activities related to the Livelihood project.
- Assist in Planning, supervising and monitoring training, awareness and sensitisation activities, including maintenance and verification of all supporting documentation and activities.
- Assist in Maintaining records of all activities, in order to complete timely reports for INTERSOS and for external actors, including donors.
- Assist in Planning, coordination and monitoring all Livelihood-related activities, including Natural Resources Management, Crop Production, Income Generation activities, Small scale Agricultural Marketing Strategy,
- Post-Harvest Management, Civic Engineering, Industrial Design, Water harvesting & Irrigation Management and the Food Assistance for Assets (Individual & Communal Assets) activities etc.
- Assist the Livelihood Officer/Coordinator in project documentation.
- Promote the rights of displaced people and affected populations, and explore and assess new and better ways to provide timely, effective and appropriate assistance.
- Assist in gap analysis, needs assessment, conducting registration, receiving commodities and distributing to beneficiaries in locations adversely affected by the conflict.
- Ensure to enhance own capacity building by identifying need to immediate supervisor;
- Implement other tasks as might be required with relation to the INTERSOS Country Program in Nigeria.
4. Required profile/experience
- Diploma/HND/B.Sc Degree in Agricultural Science / Engineering, Animal Science, Business Management, Environmental Science, Civil Engineering, Industrial Design
- Minimum 1 years of experience from at national level project implementation position in a humanitarian / recovery context;
- Experience in working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Technical Livelihood knowledge of Natural Resources Management, Crop Production, Water & Irrigation Management, Poultry Production, Animal breeding & brooding, Post-Harvest Management, Small holder
- Agricultural Market Strategy, Water Harvesting & Irrigation Sysyem and WFP Food Assistance for Assets program;
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Fluency in English, Hausa & Kanuri or Shuwa
- Capacity to adapt to basic living conditions, patience;
- Ability to put up with job pressure;
- Ability to deliver high quality work within tight deadlines;
- Strong negotiation skills;
5. Brief Conditions
INTERSOS reserve right to transfer position as per need / project demand any time during the project. Position will be based in one of base following;
Staff will responsible to cater for their food at duty station;
- For any sort of field / official visit, travel to & from will be responsibility of INTERSOS including food allowance but travelling from home to duty station will be staff own responsibility (in some cases facilitation could be
- provided as per urgency)
- No TA/DA will be provided for the field work for which staff will be appointed;
- INTERSOS forbids all forms of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse;
- Other Terms & Condition will be part of Job Contract;
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to INTERSOS career website on docs.google.com to apply