INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Livelihood Project Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Starting date: 24th December, 2018
Contract Duration: 10 Months
Reporting to: Head of Base
Supervision of: National Project Manager/ Field Coordinators
Dependents: No family duty station
General purpose of the position
- The overall purpose of the Livelihoods Project Manager role is to ensure a streamlined, fit-for-context Livelihood Programme, including food-security elements, in Borno State-NE Nigeria, across various field bases and humanitarian contexts.
- The position will develop a Livelihoods strategy, including a core set of activities, for the country and the technical tools and standards to support implementation, in close coordination with base and field offices.
- S/he will also provide technical guidance and support on a day to day basis to Livelihoods programmes across INTERSOS Nigeria; through this, s/he will ensure harmonization and national consistency.
Main responsibilities and Tasks
- Develop program strategy and priorities based on thorough understanding of needs and context
- Ensure that programme strategy, and design is integrated with other INTERSOS sectors
- Lead development, harmonization, and roll out of SOPs, tools and guidelines
- Provide regular technical support and guidance to National Project Manager/ Field Coordinators and other relevant staff in both a structured manner and on a case by case basis.
- Assure compliance with INTERSOS standards and procedures and alignment with global strategy, through regular coordination with colleagues in support services at Base Office and Field Offices level.
- Coordinate with sector colleagues at Base Office and HQ levels as appropriate about relevant issues
- Complete regular field visits to ensure technical oversight and support, identify needs, and ensure quality programming
Technical Line Management:
- Development of harmonized job descriptions and structures in all field offices
- Participate in the recruitment of technical staff in the same field
- Identify technical gaps and support capacity building for technical line reports
- Contribute to setting performance objectives and performance appraisals of technical staff in the same field
- When necessary, and with approval of his/her line manager, provide stop-gap support in absence of PMs, in close coordination with team focal points (identified by the PM before his/her absence)
Programme Development, Coordination, and Oversight:
- Lead design, finalisation and oversight and coordination of proposals and projects, in coordination with FSL Coordinator, Head of Base /HoM
- Lead on developing assessments, including inter-sectoral assessments to inform evidence-based planning
- Map donor priorities within given sector and identify new opportunities
- Provide technical review of all proposals and reports and other relevant sector-specific donor communications
- Lead as a grants focal point for livelihood sector, as appointed by FSL Coordinator
- Lead on program review meetings where he/she is the focal point and contribute to other program review meetings as necessary (Grant Opening, Review, & Close Out Meetings)
- Oversight of overall program implementation, including budgets and indicators
- Oversight and monitoring of overall sector budget, including budget development, in coordination with National PM / Field Coordinators and monitoring for timely sector-level spend, and initiate corrective action, including internal and donor budget realignments
- Oversight of overall program implementation progress; identification, resolution and/or escalation of issues;
- Work with M&E to develop harmonized tools and databases to monitor and track efficiency and quality of programming and improve information management within the sector focal points
- Work closely with M&E in design, implementation, and evaluation of sector-level programming
- Coordinate with M&E to ensure accountability mechanisms are established for programming
Coordination and Donor Engagement:
- Lead participation at Clusters, including direct participation at the national level and coordination of representation at the sub-national level. Also participate in working groups/strategic advisory groups, to represent INTERSOS and its mandate
- Act as the main sector-level point of contact with donors in coordination with FSL Coordinator; support donor visits to the field
- Provide technical input and support strategic direction of the sector-level response within the humanitarian community
- Report issues and challenges to the donor in a timely manner, in coordination with the FSL Coordinator
- Liaise with sub national and national government authorities and relevant stakeholders
- Raise any issues of non-compliance and assure compliance with INTERSOS standards and procedures
- Coordinate with Communication /Advocacy for success story content, communication tools, etc.
- Provide regular updates to FSL Coordinator and SMT
- Any other duties as agreed with FSL Coordinator
- Masters in Social Sciences or other relevant field.
- To be successful in this role we expect you to have at least 7 years of experience with INGOs.
- Strong Livelihoods experience including experience in representation with clusters and other protection actors
- Strong Cash experience
- Experience in rapidly changing humanitarian contexts
- Experience with representation and communication
- Experience with capacity building, including in settings with remote technical management
- Strong technical experience in development and roll out of SOPs
- Substantial experience in both a technical advisory role and program management and implementation
- Strong proposal development and report development skills
- In this position, you are expected to demonstrate competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with INTERSOS’s vision and values.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to INTERSOS career website on www.intersos.org to apply