Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Gender Assessment Specialist
- RTI International in collaboration with Plan International and other partners is implementing a 4-year USAID funded Effective Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (E-WASH) program. E-WASH will provide technical assistance to state governments to improve urban water service delivery by strengthening the governance, financial, and technical viability of six (6) state water boards (SWBs) in Nigeria. This is part of the United States Government’s (USG) efforts working with the Federal Government to address the heart of the challenges faced by the urban water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) services. The overall goal is improvement of urban water and sanitation service delivery.
- Plan International is seeking to identify 3 dynamic and technically strong Consultants to support the undertaking of baseline studies to firstly establish the current performance levels of CSOs in Urban WASH, identify the gaps and develop action plans and service plans for water service delivery in the urban areas of Imo, Niger and Sokoto States. The consultants must be willing to spend up to 3 weeks (15 working days) during the first part of December i.e. from Monday December 10, 2018. Women candidates that meet the criteria below are strongly encouraged to apply.
Objectives of The Baseline Survey
- The overall objective of the baseline study is to establish a benchmark against which the E-WASH will design interventions to bring the urban water service providers to the level of being professionally managed and commercially viable.
- The main objective of this position is to undertake baseline studies in gender related issues in the urban WASH sector which will include an assessment of the roles, rights, and daily activities of women and girls as consumers, women’s role in the management of service provision, as well as in governance, including Boards of Directors and State Government leaders. The findings of this assessment will guide the development of strategies aimed at ensuring that the program addresses underlying gender barriers, while ensuring the equal, effective participation of women and girls in governance of the urban water and sanitation sector.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least a Master's degree in Gender or Development Studies, Institutional Development or related fields.
- At least 12 years of experience
- Experience in carrying out gender-related assessments in the service delivery sector
- Experience in designing and undertaking gender mainstreaming frameworks.
- Knowledge and understanding of the respective states’ socio-cultural norms and practices
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a CV (not more than 5 pages) to Nigeria.Consultant@plan-International.org not later than December 1, 2018.
In the SUBJECT line of your e-mail you must only put the position you are interested in and the state you would like to be considered to work in i.e. if you are a Gender Assessment Specialist and would like to be considered in Niger then in the subject line only put GAS Niger Women are strongly encouraged to apply.