UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
National Construction Engineer
Job Number: 518212
Locations: Adamawa, Bauchi and Kebbi
Contract duration: 11.5 months.
Work Type: Consultancy
- UNICEF has been working with other partners to support the State Primary Health Care Development Agencies (SPHCDAs) and the State Ministries of Health (SMOH) in the actualization of the vision of the Federal Government towards revitalizing primary healthcare and improving the quality of integrated MNCH services through support to the implementation of the ward minimum health care package in at least 1 Primary Health Care (PHC) center per ward in most of the wards in Kebbi, Bauchi and Adamawa.
- The National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) has defined a set of minimum standards that must be met in order to ensure effective and efficient service delivery at the health care facility level. Adherence to a set of minimum standards for Primary Health Care (PHC) system is fundamental to the effective functioning of any health facility and is an essential element for the delivery of quality health care.
- In line with the above, UNICEF has finalized the assessment of over 400 Health facility and will continue work with the 3 state governments to complete the assessment of another 42 Health facility. The first phase of implementation has started, and UNICEF will assist the 3 state governments in providing technical oversight in the renovation work to be carried out and implement a quality assurance mechanism, supervise the renovation works while ensuring timely delivery of facility upgrade.
Major Tasks to be Accomplished
- Support the Construction Engineer in the implementation phases.
- Undertake daily site visits to monitor progress of work.
- Keep record of each site activities, dates, hold points, and milestones.
- Compile progress reports including the cost controlling, scheduling, risks and management aspects.
- Support in preparation of project estimates and forecasting for completion in cost, duration and variations.
- Work with Contractors to ensure project compliance to scope and budget and report any deviations.
- Attend any required meetings with the project stakeholders in the state.
- Provide periodic updates on progress of renovation exercise
- Get involved in any evaluation mission requested by the organization in the relevant field.
- Execute any additional task required for the project and as directed by the organization.
Qualification/Specialized Knowledge and Experience
- Professionality: In-depth knowledge of buildings and engineering, renovation and constructions projects, excellent knowledge of project cost control activities, and computer-aided design and drafting programs, proven ability to supervise contractors, consultants and control contracts, excellent reporting skills, demonstrates professional competency and mastery of subject matter, is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results, is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns, shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges, remains calm in stressful situations, takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Conduct all ethical and professional behaviors in refusing fraudulent and corrupt practices including but not limited to refusing gifts, favors and preferences by any stakeholder.
- Planning & Control: Maintain project timelines and cost limits, identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusts priorities as required, allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work, foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning, monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary, uses time efficiently.
- Flexibility & Teamwork: Shows flexibility in moving between project locations, altering schedule to the benefit of the work progress, works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the project goals, is willing to learn from others, places team agenda before personal agenda, supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings, demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization
- A first-level University degree in Engineering or related fields from a reputable university.
- Professional training in project management, project controls and construction contracts.
- ARCON or COREN registration certification/membership.
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in managing construction and renovation projects. Â Experience in procurement and supply processes is an asset. Experience in facilities management, project management, construction cost control is desirable.
- Fluency in English Language. Knowledge of language of duty station would be an added advantage.
Method of Application
- All applicants should quote their all inclusive fee.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Interested and qualified? Go to UNICEF career website on www.unicef.org to apply