UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
TA Education Specialist (Learning)
Job Number: 518093
- Under the guidance and general supervision of the Chief, Education (Level 5), the Specialist supports the development and preparation of the Education programmes and is responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reporting the progress of education programmes/projects focusing on the learning/quality component within the country programme.
- The Specialist provides technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes to facilitate the administration and achievement of results on education programs/projects in UNICEF Nigeria, to improve learning, learning outcomes and equitable and inclusive education, especially for children who are marginalized, disadvantaged and excluded in society.
- The Specialist contributes to achievement of results according to plans, allocation, results based-management approaches and methodology (RBM) and UNICEF's Strategic Plans, standards of performance and accountability framework.
How can you make a difference?
Key Functions, Accountabilities and Related Duties/Tasks
Support to program/project development and Planning:
- Assist supervisor set priorities, strategies, design and implementation plans. Keep abreast of development trends to enhance programme management, efficiency and delivery
- Participate in strategic programme discussion on the planning of education programmes. Formulate, design and prepare programme proposals for the sector, ensuring alignment with UNICEF's Strategic Plans and Country Programme and coherence/integration with the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.
- Provide technical support in establishing specific goals, objectives and strategies and implementation plans for the learning/quality component of the education program in UNICEF Nigeria using results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare required documentations for program review and approval.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies and to determine national priorities/competencies to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
- Provide technical and operational support both to Education Specialists/Officers, consultants and partners in states throughout all stages of programming processes to ensure that well-planned/structured learning interventions are conducted.
Program management, monitoring and delivery of Results:
- Plan and/or collaborate with internal and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators and measurement to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for learning, learning outcomes and quality education in general.
- Provide professional technical leadership in ensuring structured/systematic implementation of learning and quality education interventions, including capacity development of primary teachers and integrated Qur'anic school (IQS).
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve results.
- Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in program and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
- Actively monitor programs/projects through field visits, surveys and/or exchange of information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Monitor and verify the optimum/appropriate use of sectoral program resources (financial, administrative and other assets) confirming compliance with organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity and ensuring timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Prepare regular/mandated program/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
Technical and operational support to program implementation:
- Provide technical guidance and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and country office partners/donors on interpretation, application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices and approaches on education and related issues to support program management, implementation and delivery of results.
- Provide operational support to ensure the effective, efficient and timely programme interventions.
- Participate in education program meetings including program development and contingency planning to provide technical and operational information, advice and support.
- Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic program materials for management use, information and/or consideration.
Networking and partnership building:
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with relevant government counterparts, state level partners/allies/donors/academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication to build capacity, exchange knowledge/expertise and to reinforce cooperation to achieve sustainable and broad results on education programmes.
- Prepare communication and information materials for CO program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for education programmes.
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate education sector discussions and planning on education and related issues to collaborate with other partners on learning and quality education interventions, ensuring organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered in the coordination efforts.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building:
- Apply/introduce innovative approaches and good practice to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable program results.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programs and projects.
- Organize and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on education and related programs/projects.
- Understanding of the overall global development context, including issues such as: poverty, conflict and the impact of these factors on education and vice-versa; and inter-sectoral approaches to address such issues in collaboration with other sectors (including Social Policy, Child Protection, Nutrition, WASH, Health and Communications within UNICEF).
- Knowledge of global developments in education focusing on quality education and learning, including the application of the equity lens and human rights perspectives to programming.
- Ability to support policy dialogue: translation of analytical findings and evidence into development programmes and policy discussions around equity and learning with partners, including government, development partners, CSOs and academia in relevant areas.
- Education sector planning knowledge/ability, including the range of modalities for delivering education, linkages between different sub-sectors (e.g. ECD, Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, Inclusive Education), cost-effectiveness and efficiency issues, key institutional structures, components and processes, as well as governance issues.
- Education and policy sector analysis capacity, including understanding of the core education data sets, indicators, tools for analysis of equity, determinants of student access and learning, budget, cost and financing, education system management, political economy and application to education policy and strategic planning.
- Capacity in programme management in education, including programme design, costing, monitoring and evaluation and reporting.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Education: An Advanced University Degree in Education, Economics, Psychology, Sociology or other Social Science field is required.
- Experience: A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in programme planning, implementation and management in education is required, especially in the area of learning and teacher quality at the international level, some of which preferably in a developing country. Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.