The International Potato Center (CIP): CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a network of 15 Research Centers and 16 Research Programs mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
Country Program Coordinator
- The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic and ambitious Country Program Coordinator to lead its effort to scale up the production and utilization of biofortified sweet potato for nutrition and rural economic development in Nigeria
- This is a great opportunity to contribute to agricultural transformation in Nigeria working closely with government and commercial partners from several sectors to improve sweet potato value chains as pathways to more resilient, nutritious and profitable agri-food systems in Nigeria.
About the Position
- The Country Program Coordinator will lead CIP’s engagement with research, government, commercial and NGO partners in Nigeria to accelerate the scaling up the production and utilization of nutritious and resilient sweet potato and potato, with an initial emphasis on biofortified sweet potato
- S/he will lead a designated program focused on developing, adapting and disseminating biofortified orange-fleshed sweet potato using improved methodologies and innovative delivery systems
- Emphasis will be on strengthening market mechanisms and commercial partnerships to serve the priorities and needs of poor and malnourished populations for healthier diets and improved livelihoods
- The Country Program Coordinator will work with scientists from CIP and partner institutions to apply latest methodologies and approaches and develop these further to ensure that CIP’s research and development work is well targeted at nutrition and poverty goals and strengthens national and local partner capacities
- S/he will link CIP with pertinent research networks and development initiatives in Nigeria to broaden the scale of impact
- The position will report to CIP’s global Sweet potato Program Leader.
- Ph.D in a pertinent field in the Social or Biological Sciences. An M.Sc Degree with additional professional experience will be considered. Specific training in root and tuber crops is not required but is an advantage.
- Strong hands-on experience of at least 6 years in a leadership position on research and development programs in agriculture, nutrition, or rural development preferably in Africa or Asia.
- Excellent and up-to-date understanding of approaches and methodologies to promote nutrition-sensitive agriculture.
- Direct experience applying market-based approaches to questions of nutrition and rural development. Experience of working with the private sector is an advantage.
- Proven track record of excellent project management and reporting skills.
- Strong track record of research and publications in relevant areas.
- Excellent leadership skills to promote effective collaboration within teams and across partner organizations.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
- Willingness and ability to relocate to Nigeria and to travel and work in resource-poor, rural areas.
- Exciting career opportunities in an international organization.
- Internationally competitive salary, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
- Attractive retirement plan.
- Three-year term contracts with the possibility of renewal.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Potato Center career website on recruit.zohopublic.com to apply