Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world.
Social Behavior Change Communication Advisor (SBCC)
Reports to: Area Operations Manager with matrix reporting to the Nutrition Programme Manager
- The SBCC Advisor will be based in Lagos will contribute and work within a dynamic three (3) year Alive & Thrive (A&T) Nutrition Project.
- The Social and Behaviour Change Communication (SBCC) Advisor will be a senior member of the project team and will work with Government of Lagos and Kaduna states, local partners, Wellbeing Foundation, community organizations, FHI, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and others to achieve the implementation of a comprehensive program to reduce behavioural barriers to the uptake of promoted feeding practices for children under
- The Social and Behaviour Change Communication (SBCC) Advisor will develop SBCC strategies and training materials, and conduct trainings that promote consistent nutrition/consumption behaviours for the Alive & Thrive project.
- The incumbent will improve nutrition and breastfeeding practices through innovative SBCC strategies that sustainably bring about positive behaviour change.
- The SBCC Advisor work at the national, state, and LGA levels with government to incorporate appropriate nutrition objectives into their activities.
- He/she will provides global scientific leadership by staying current of evolving technical standards, guidelines, and program developments in area of expertise.
Scope of Role
- The SBCC Advisor will work closely with the Project Manager/STL Lagos Alive & Thrive, STL Kaduna, Nutrition Programme Manager and Senior Project Officer
State level quality implementation:
- Accountable for the delivery of all Project related SBCC objectives, outcomes, and milestones at the programme level and reporting requirements of the programme.
- Provides technical assistance to develop and implement health communication strategies, and integrate SBCC activities into A&T interventions in Lagos and Kaduna to motivate households for the uptake of promoted IYCF/Breastfeeding behaviours and improved dietary diversity and nutritional outcomes. Shares new knowledge/evidence and best practices through collaboration with relevant departments and personnel
- Provides technical assistance related to the development and implementation of SBCC strategies for the promotion of IYCF practices in all project phases from formative research through design, media and material production, community mobilization, engagement with Health workers and evaluation.
- Completes detailed strategy write-ups, work plans, and delivers quarterly reports and all other reporting requirements.
- Develop or review technical resource materials (e.g., training materials, SBCC plans, strategy documents, job aids) and programming tools to support meeting Project objectives.
- Conduct research for messages and materials development under the guidance of the programme manager and project manager
- Provide technical assistance to State Ministries of Health, local government, community at all levels and implementing partners, and support documentation of such activities
- Work with Lagos and Kaduna state teams, government partners, community leaders, traditional and religious leaders to design communication and messaging content.
- Strengthen capacities of government and other partners to develop and manage IYCF/Nutrition communication activities.
- Supports the development of work plans, quarterly and annual reports, and all other reporting requirements for Lagos and Kaduna.
- Liaises with and manages partner organizations involved in country program activities, and builds capacity of local organizations and Government of Nigeria departments through the development and implementation of capacity assessments, training courses, and other capacity strengthening activities.
Monitoring and Documentation:
- Work in collaboration with the Programme Manager to ensure that state reports is accurate and updated.
- Accountable for the delivery of quality SBCC Reports of activities in Lagos and Kaduna State as per schedule agreed with the Programme Manager.
- Ensure case studies and success stories are periodically developed from Lagos and Kaduna State’s A&T implementation.
- Development of monthly SBCC reports for Kaduna and Lagos States
- Monthly SBCC workplan and forecast for Kaduna and Lagos State
Representation of the Project:
- Convey the overall project SBCC purpose, activities, and achievements of the Project to external stakeholders in the state.
- Ensure A&T representation and contribution in SBCC related meetings in Lagos and Kaduna States.
- Collaborate with other nutrition actors in Lagos and Kaduna States.
Additional Job Responsibilities
- This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Skills And Behaviours (SCI Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Works closely and constructively with many colleagues at all levels and across cultures, influencing effectively while having little formal authority and to hold peers accountable to deliver on their responsibilities.
- Sensitivity to the needs of a range of stakeholders and able to balance conflicting interests to create shared goals.
- A proactive and flexible approach to work.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal development.
- Proactive, forward thinker who is able to plan ahead and anticipate requirements and problems
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Academic/professional qualification in nutrition at post graduate level or equivalent.
- Postgraduate degree in Health Communications, Public Health Management, Social Sciences, International Development, or a related field.
- 6-10 years of experience in international development communications and a minimum of 5 years’ experience of leadership and management of relevant related SBCC interventions.
- Knowledge and experience in health education and behavioural change communication is required.
- Strong understanding of current state of the evidence on nutrition, and knowledge of state of the art social and behaviour change communication models and strategies and their practical application to nutrition specifically.
- Experience in developing and implementing a behavioural change communication strategy, focusing on creating demand for community and facility-based health services.
- Knowledge of evidence-based, innovative, and practical solutions to communication challenges in developing countries.
- Field experience in developing and implementing SBCC projects and programs in Africa and/or other regions that have demonstrated impact, at scale.
- Understanding of widely accepted formative research, pretesting, and monitoring and evaluation methodologies for effective SBCC interventions.
- Experience in designing and implementing at least two health (Nutrition, Water/Sanitation, RMNCH and/or livelihoods) projects that include a strong behaviour change communication component.
- Guiding and providing technical assistance to project/host country government staffs working on Social Behavioural Change Communications projects.
- Experience in developing behavioural change communication tools and materials.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of developmental communications/health/governance projects and implementation research experience.
- Demonstrated strong technical, programming, and management skills.
- Proven ability to work as an effective team member.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills, and experience working in collaboration with Government, communities partners, donors, and NGOs.
- Ability to set priorities while multi-tasking, and meet deadlines.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.