WADHI is a non governmental organization called Women Arise Developmental and Humanitarian Initiative to wrestle poverty to its knees by providing capital, knowledge, skills and access to opportunity for poor and vulnerable groups, especially women, to achieve development in all spheres of society.
Location: Abuja with travel possibilities
Type: Short Term Contract
- We are seeking expressions of interest from qualified candidates for the position of Project Assistant for the WADHI-CEDAW-KOWGO Project
- The assignment is expected to commence in November of 2018. Details of the assignment and information for applicants can be found at the bottom of the posting.
- Duration: 3 months with possibility of extension. (Contract extension will be subject to performance and validity of the Project Estimate. New TOR may be prepared in this event.
The project seeks to:
- Create “Digital Space” for advancing CEDAW principles on women’s leadership and governance rights by stimulating conversations on political, legislative and socio-economic agenda that reflects women’s rights.
- Enhance synergy of action and reporting on CEDAW article 18 through Nigeria CEDAW-Hub Communities
- Galvanize and sustain actions to enhance women’s leadership and governance roles through CEDAW reporting processes
Although Nigeria has been a signatory to the Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) since 1984, domestication, implementation and reporting on the Convention is still a challenge. The project will undertake research pieces to generate knowledge and promote awareness on CEDAW articles related to Violence Against Women (VAW) and Women, Peace and Security (WPS) to strengthen existing groups promoting women’s rights aggregated into this thematic community of the CEDAW Hub Nigeria.
Guidelines developed on best practice interventions and models will serve as tools to facilitate collaboration, partnership and reporting. A tapestry of best practice works will be built from Nigeria and other country CEDAW efforts. Through comparative, studies, analysis and exchanges, VAW and WPS stakeholder efforts will be strengthened and findings used to review strategies and modalities for implementing the VAPP Act 2015, UNSCR 1325 and related national and stale legislations/policies:
- Linkages will be created to amplify progress and impact achieved in VAW and women peace and security efforts locally and globally and learning platforms convened to deepen knowledge and ensure correlation and sync between on-going actions and reporting especially in the context of CEDAW requirements and concluding observations on Nigeria’s last periodic report.
- Technology will be utilized to boost tracking of stakeholder efforts to promote women’s rights activism, amplify women’s voices, expand women’s agency, create synergy and build consensus on:
- Gender caucusing within the legislature
- CEDAW reporting by government, donors, CSOs and critical institutions and
- Improving strategic alliances, coalitions and platforms for women’s leadership, representation and governance.
- Robust and inclusive reporting processes will be supported and partnerships built across the board for CEDAW implementation using established groups and networks, identified “Sync Centres”, “Burning Issues” and “Hot Spot” concerns.
- To strengthen institutional capacities and enhance sustainability of project outcomes, policy and legislative forums will be organized to provide platform and opportunities for shaping discourse/modalities for improved compliance with CEDAW Articles, accountability to gender policy objectives as well as gender sensitive SDG and AU 2063 implementation and reporting.
WADHI’s work is inspired by the need to technologically respond to the knowledge, access & skills gaps encountered mostly by women entrepreneurs. This is why the organization has developed a holistic Technology-based, gender friendly offline/online Mobile Application (App) called the KOWGO App. The App which features seven Modules not only helps to generate proper real-time business documentation, it also generates data for providing thorough Business Diagnostic Services for users and ultimately generates their Business Health Status Report. It also offers simple financial literacy knowledge in a format that is accessible and responsive to women’s time constraints. To this end, an innovative partnership was forged between WADHI, Intel, Bank of Industry and Siemens to support women’s economic empowerment.
WADHI as a gender-focused organization offers the KWOGO App as an innovation and acts as:
- Training Specialist on financial inclusion & enterprise management
- Small & Medium business/enterprise analyst
- Business clinic and Incubation service provider
- Loans/financial risk reduction agent
Working with partners, leading organizations and financial institutions, our goal is to bridge gender gaps in the economic sector and help targets achieve financial independence by creating access to formal financing while reducing financial/ investment risks. To this end we:
- Offer digital solutions to financial inclusion problems of SMEs
- Provide financial / risk management tools and services that effectively track business records and consequently serve as affordable financial manager for SMEs
- Provide financial information's/records for petty traders and SMEs to track business performance and promote expansion/scale-up
- Generate financial records and business reports on demand.
- Help women climb the financial ladder or step into the formal financial system through training and consultancy services.
The project is an initiative targeted at reaching 100,000 women each from 18 states in Nigeria including the FCT; across multiple platforms (Virtual and Physical) piloting with 3 states. The intervention will dwell largely on addressing operational failings in the MSMEs sector especially as it relates to women enterprises to birth a healthier and more productive sector.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Organization of project planning/thematic meetings
- Design CEDAW Hub VAW/WPS Communities and enlist stakeholders/women rights actors
- Promote awareness on CEDAW principles to foster strategic engagement of CEDAW Hub Community members on VAW and WPS concerns
- Build/establish CEDAW pool of resources for stakeholders including Tapestry of best practices.
- Facilitate distillation of and dialogue on relevant CEDAW Articles and concluding Observations on Nigeria
- Promote visibility of CEDAW through partnerships, interactive sessions and lessons sharing
- Promote global to local knowledge/strategy adaptation to enhance compliance with CEDAW reporting processes
- Promote partnerships and joint initiatives reporting CEDAW related interventions/activities
- Facilitate Gender Caucusing and consensus building on governance issues and leadership concerns etc.
- Support the Convening of policy and legislative dialogue sessions to advance women’s leadership and governance rights
- Capacity building for institutional focal persons on CEDAW and Maputo Articles
- Manage and be responsible for the project e-mails through specific tasks such as communications with stakeholders, service providers/tenderer under guidance.
- Represent WADHI in coordination meetings, staff meetings, workshops, and meetings with stakeholders;
- Assist the management team in the coordination and delivery process of the workshops and events. And documentation after events.
- Other activities as assigned by the project coordinator.
The successful candidate will possess some or all of the following characteristics:
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- BA or MA in Social Sciences or a relevant field
- Gender Expertise and Knowledge of CEDAW will be an advantage
- One to three years working experience preferable
- Excellent command of English Language (spoken, read and written)
- Willingness to travel at short notice
- Proven record of successful interaction with individuals from a diverse array of backgrounds, including government officials, traditional leaders, women, youth, etc;
- Experience in gender programming, women’s empowerment and working with women’s organizations.
- Knowledge of computer programs, including Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel etc.
- Experience in social media, program management and logistics;
- Punctuality, intellectual curiosity, willingness to take initiative, multi-tasking, and willingness to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their current CV (not to exceed 2 pages), a Letter explaining your interest in this position and detailing relevant achievements, and the contact information for 2 professional references (employers, professors, etc) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click Here to Download Full Job Description (Pdf)
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only successful candidates will be contacted.