Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
Working together with children, young people, supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges girls and vulnerable children face. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years and are now active in more than 70 countries, driving changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. Plan International is registered in Nigeria with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
Health Programme Intern
- Plan International Nigeria is an international Child Centered Community Development Organization with no religious, political or governmental affiliation working in Nigeria since 2014.
- Within the framework of assisting in professionalizing studies and preparing the workforce of the future, Plan International Nigeria will provide an opportunity for selected candidates to build practical skills and develop experience working in an international organization; gain exposure to international development effort; and deepen the understanding of Plan Nigeria development priorities and challenges.
- This, in turn, would enrich Plan Nigeria with the interns’ unique inputs and perspectives. The internship promises to be an interesting and rewarding opportunity for career and personal development.
Dimension of Role
- To provide the incumbent with on-the-job training in program management, research and data gathering skills; communication and people skills, and work ethics.
- Enhance the educational experience of the incumbent through practical and guided hands-on exposure and involvement in Plan Nigeria’s development projects;
- Provide incumbent with an exposure to the working environment of a multilateral organization and a better understanding of Plan Nigeria’s goals and activities.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of health Program, the intern depending on competencies and interest is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Support all Country program leads especially health programs in delivery of their tasks.
- Conduct research/literature review in thematic priority areas and assist in drafting written reports/proposal contents for internal and external use based on guidelines determined jointly by the supervisor and the intern
- Facilitate communication amongst our project partners.
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results
- Ability to multi-task duties and apply practical problem-solving skills as needed
- Support the program unit in the preparation and implementation of seminars, conferences and meetings where applicable.
- Take minutes of meetings and assist in the elaboration of papers, power point presentations and analytical contributions, as well as other products and tools that will facilitate the project´s work.
- Other tasks/duties as required.
Learning opportunities for the intern:
- General understanding of the work and mission of the Plan Nigeria program; the role of stakeholders and partners at state and local level and of internship’s contribution to development effectiveness;
- Insight and hands-on experience in Plan Nigeria’s role in facilitating and promoting the project;
- Insight and hands-on experience in organizing and running complex projects; and
- Becoming more familiar with working in an International Organization and in a multicultural environment.
- Upon the successful conclusion of the assignment, Plan International Nigeria will provide a certificate for the interns that fulfil their commitments with integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity.
At the end of the internship, the following outputs will be expected:
- Tasks developed in a professional and efficient way, focusing on end-results and delivering high quality products.
- A research report in the thematic priority areas that is determined jointly by the supervisor and the intern.
- The Communication Intern will report directly to the Head of health programme
- Internal Relationships: All Plan International Nigeria staff
- External Relationships: Partners, Consultants/service providers, CSOs, relevant Government agencies and partners.
Technical Expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Completed undergraduate degree in Development-related fields such as Public Health, Anthropology, Sociology or Public Administration. Other fields of study may be considered depending on the type of assignment;
- Proven strong academic track record.
- Knowledge and understanding of private and public health sector issues.
- Demonstrated interest in the field of development and the work of international organisations.
- Language skills; written and spoken proficiency in English and preferably a command of the local language.
- Internet proficiency as well as proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required. Experience with the development of statistics, charts in Excel and Web 2.0 tools (especially social networking) an asset.
- Some previous work experience in communications and campaign management, and/or partnership building and stakeholder consultations, and/or research and policy development is desirable.
- Proven oral communication, analytical and report writing skills are advantageous.
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Demonstrated ability to do research
- Creativity, flexibility and ability to work within deadlines
- Maturity, initiative, tact and high sense of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.