UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
FT Senior Executive Associate, GS 6
Job Number: 517821
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Work Type: Fixed Term Staff
How can you make a difference?
- This position reports to a senior executive with responsibility for the management and coordination of work for a broad segment of the Organization (i.e. major program, sector, or office). The role of this post is to provide administrative and secretarial support services to the senior executive.
- The Sr. Executive Assistant is responsible to ensure the smooth running of the Office. This involves management of information and coordination of matters within a substantive team.
- The post is a key interface with a broad range of contacts including high-ranking officials, both within and outside the Organization.
- The post prioritizes tasks and organizes work independently based on general direction from the supervisor.
Key end-Results Organizational Context
- Administrative, executive assistance and secretarial support services provided to the Sr. Executive to facilitate smooth running of the Office and effective processing of information and data.
- Professional image projected through in-person and telephone interaction. Discretion exercised with confidential information and complex sensitive subject matter.
- Knowledgeable delivery of quality services contributing to achievement of work objectives.
- Well managed and effective office operations, systems and procedures facilitates team work and the work of the office.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Within the delegated authority and the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be accountable for all or assigned areas of the following major duties and end results.
Administrative, executive assistance and secretarial support services to the Sr. Executive to facilitate smooth running of the Office and effective processing of information and data:
- Helps manage the immediate office operations with respect to communications, meetings and work flow; identifies complex or sensitive subjects, and contacts, for special treatment as well as priority issues that need to be brought to the supervisor's attention. As appropriate, provides information and guidance to staff at all levels within the organizational unit to ensure understanding of intent and deadlines.
- Establishes internal tracking systems and procedures for correspondence and documents; monitor work progress and cases of priority and concern to the supervisor.
- Arranges appointments and maintains supervisor's calendar, receiving high ranking visitors, places and screens telephone calls and answers enquiries; Organizes high-level meetings including taking responsibility for finalization of the meeting agenda, invitations, the production and distribution of documentation, and preparation of minutes of meetings. Distribute meeting reports and information and ensure follows-up on required actions.
- Organizes and facilitates the administrative work of the office including establishing internal procedures and tracking systems for correspondence and documents: receives screens and registers correspondence and documents.
- Collects and prepare briefing materials for supervisor concerning official trips or special meetings. Undertake travel arrangements for supervisor, including arranging itinerary, visas, and hotel reservations. Ensure offices are informed of travel arrangements and requirements. Brief supervisor of important developments upon their return.
Professional image projected through in-person and telephone interaction. Discretion exercised with confidential information and complex sensitive subject matter:
- Keeps abreast of activities of importance, latest policies, procedures and organizational changes affecting the team.
- Establishes and maintains a records management system containing reference materials and confidential records as required.
- Prepares briefing materials for supervisor concerning official trips or special meetings; drafts responses to written inquiries on a variety of routine and non-routine questions; communicates sensitive information to senior management and coordinates Responses to sensitive inquiries on behalf of the supervisor.
Effective preparation and knowledgeable delivery of correspondence/communications, documentation and reports contributing to achievement of work objectives:
- Prepares correspondence for the supervisor's signature, and may make informal translations into another official languages as required. Draft non-substantive correspondence based on first-hand knowledge of work schedule or events, rough notes, or verbal instructions, for supervisor's approval.
- Communicates sensitive information to senior level managers and coordinate responses to sensitive inquiries on behalf of the supervisor.
- Follows up on the preparation by staff of reports, correspondence, briefing notes And other documents for the supervisor's reference. Reviews these documents for Appropriate format and style, in accordance with standard practices.
- Selects and makes pertinent abstracts and undertake searches for information as directed.
Well managed and effective office operations, systems and procedures that facilitate team work and the work of the office:
- May supervise clerical and support staff, and coordinate the secretarial service of the office. Verifies that the work is done in accordance with corporate standards and within established deadlines; monitors work progress and cases of priority and concern to the supervisor.
- Works closely with team colleagues and provides support in achievement of work priorities and objectives.
- Establishes follow-up system of actions taken and reports to the supervisor.
- Undertakes any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Position Grade Factors
- The post will cover a variety of tasks linked to a specific work plan. While detailed instructions will be given to the incumbent, the volume and variety of work require the incumbent to check own work and to take initiative in identifying potentially problematic situations and discussing with supervisor.
- Key work relationships are within and outside the organization.
Inside the Organization:
- Broad range of contacts at all levels throughout the Organization, with regard to coordination of work, follow-up matters, meeting arrangements, dissemination of information and sharing.
Outside the Organization:
- Senior managers from external organizations and agencies - for the purpose of meeting coordination and arrangements, exchange of information, and requests for materials.
- The post works independently within broad guidelines and is proactive in accomplishing tasks amid competing priorities and deadlines. Familiar with organizational systems and structure, and is resourceful and motivated in gauging appropriate course of action in order to meet objectives.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of Secondary School Education. High School Diploma, and Business courses or other relevant disciplines.
- Must pass the UN clerical test in English.
- 6 years of experience in accounting, financial or budget work, including on the job training in accounting and financial procedures and systems. Knowledge and skills in using corporate financial systems as well as standard office computer applications.
- IT Skills-Computer literacy and the ability to effectively use standard office software tools and other office technology to create documentation, exchange and archive e-mail, and maintain electronic filing systems.
- Office Management Skills-Five years of office support work experience, including, organizing and supervising the whole range of office support and administrative activities. Ability to work with minimum of supervision. Ability to extract and format data and to solve operational problems. Ability to organize own and others work, set priorities and meet deadlines. Ability to organize meetings and events. Ability to handle work quickly and accurately under time constraints.
- Fluency in English and local working language of the duty station Working knowledge (Level C) of one language of the Organization is required.
Method of Application
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
- View our competency framework at: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
Interested and qualified? Go to UNICEF career website on www.unicef.org to apply