Finance Officer at Save The Children
Posted on: 22 October, 2018
Deadline: 26 October, 2018
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Save The Children
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Location Borno Application Link
Location Yobe Application Link
- This position will be responsible for implementing and/or coordinating all financial support functions for the state office.
Key Areas of Accountabilities
- Assist in ensuring that direct reports have clear roles and responsibilities, and a strong understanding of all of Donor’s and Save the Children’s regulations and policies, especially the core policies such as; Child Safeguarding Policy, Code of Conduct, Fraud & dishonesty policies, Anti-bribery and corruption policy and whistle blowing policy.
- Manage the electronic spreadsheet/format for receiving and disbursing funds; coordinate the preparation and timely submission of monthly financial reports and other reports to Abuja as required. Ensure accurate keeping of account books (electronic and paper) for the state office.
- Help ensure that timely and accurate information is generated and disseminated accordingly to the project team, to inform activity planning and forecasts.
- Process all banking activities in the state office, ensuring that bank account records are accurately maintained, and that bank statements are obtained on a timely basis.
- Process all payments (cheque and/or cash) to vendors, service providers, and partners in line with SC policies & DFID requirements. Ensure all financial transactions in the state office are appropriately approved, authorised and administered, in line with SC & DFID policies.
- Ensure weekly cash counts are done and properly documented by non finance staff.
- Conduct state level finance induction for all new staff on finance policies, systems and procedure
- Review partner retirements and support the state teams to provide administrative and technical support to the partners to ensure that all financial documentation and reports are prepared and submitted on a timely basis in line with SC policies, project agreements and donor guidelines.
- In collaboration with the line manager support the training in financial management in accordance with SC’s financial management policies
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Required Qualification, Skills and Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- Level of Education - B.Sc. /HND or equivalent
- Specified Study Area - Finance / Accounts
- Minimum 5 years post NYSC experience
- Experience in working with partners accountable for grants and other financial support provided to implement project activities, particularly at community level.
- Excellent verbal communication and listening skills.
- Language Requirements: Spoken English-Excellent; Written English-Excellent
- Must be able to speak at least one local language predominant in that state.
- Level of IT Expertise: Excellent (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Ongoing / full Professional certificate in accounting and finance
- Good training and facilitation skills (for financial training/support to partners).
- Ability to multi-task, engage in long-term planning, meet deadlines, and handles last-minute demands; exercise patience, and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Ability to be creative and proactive health service improvement is essential.
Method of Application
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as
- Recent Jobs from Save The Children
- View jobs posted the same day by this employer in a single thread »
- Community Mobilization & Gender Adviser at Save The Children
- Well-being Adviser at Save The Children
- EiE Community Mobilization Officer at Save The Children
- Know More About Save The ChildrenSimilar Jobs
- Senior Accounts Payable Supervisor at Alfred & Victoria Associates
- Assistant Accountant at Alfred & Victoria Associates
- Accounts Payable Support at Alfred & Victoria Associates
- Finance Manager at Action Against Hunger | ACF-International
- Finance & Grants Officer at Plan International
- Senior Executive, Financial Planning & Analysis Analyst at Nielsen Company
- Account Officer at Sinoma Cargo International Nigeria Limited
- Lead Accountant at Alfred & Victoria Associates