African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Principal Irrigation Engineer - RDGW.2
Position N°: 50001120
- The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities.
- The Viceâ€‘Presidency for Regional Development will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
The Hiring Department/Division
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) Complex, the Bank has five (5) Regional Hubs, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Hub is headed by a Director General (DG) and is provided with the relevant sector functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- Regional Hubs provide country offices in their regions with strategic direction and are responsible for operations, business development, project management and the overall effective implementation of the Bank's High 5s, namely: "Light up and Power Africa," "Feed Africa," "Industrialize Africa," "Integrate Africa" and "Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa."
- Under the overall supervision of the Manager, Agriculture and Human Development Division (RDGW.2), the Irrigation Engineer will ensure the technical quality of the Bank's activities in support of investment operations in the agricultural water management sector.
- The incumbent will provide sector-specific expertise in the planning, development, structuring and financing of national and regional agricultural projects, including in irrigation and agricultural water management. She/he will contribute to the implementation of flagship programs as required.
Duties and responsibilities
The incumbent will:
- Participate actively in the strategic analysis of countries covered, identification, design, preparation, appraisal and implementation of agricultural sector projects and programs, in line with Bank Group policies and strategies;
- Plan, execute and supervise agricultural engineering, irrigation and agricultural water management activities throughout the project cycle;
- Assist member countries in project identification and preparation;
- Manage (including general administration) Bank Group portfolio in countries covered, in consultation with stakeholders.
- Manage day-to-day project and program operations entrusted to her/him; this will include monitoring project implementation, and maintaining contact with Governments and other project implementation agencies for all project-related issues;
- Supervise the procurement of goods and services during project implementation to ensure interpretation and strict compliance with Bank Group rules and procedures; verify that tender documents and contracts conform with standard Bank formats, and participate with other staff in the bid review and evaluation committees for bids submitted by entrepreneurs, etc.;
- Ensure the establishment of effective supervision mechanisms for projects and program entrusted to him/her;
- Participate in mainstreaming poverty reduction and crosscutting environmental, gender and governance issues into Bank-financed projects, consistent with its vision;
- Perform the role of mission member in charge of irrigation and agricultural water management at all stages of the project cycle, and coordinate the contributions of other experts in identification, preparation and appraisal reports, as well as in project planning and preparation.
- Maintain liaison with other bilateral and multilateral institutions involved in agricultural and/or rural development projects;
- Contribute to knowledge management systems in key areas of rural poverty and prepare terms of reference for Bank-financed consultants;
- Contributing to work in the water sector (see Bank policies on integrated water management, agriculture and rural development).
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- At least a Masters’ Degree/Specialized Graduate Studies Diploma (DESS)/ Diploma of Advanced Studies (DEA) or equivalent degree in Irrigation, Agricultural Engineering, Water Resources Management, Water and Rural Engineering or other related fields, with a sound knowledge of development issues;
- At least five (6) years of relevant professional experience, including in designing rural development projects and preparing, evaluating and managing loans and grants;
- Demonstrated ability to interact with public service and donor agency staff on aid coordination issues as well as with the private sector;
- A sense of customer service to understand, and where appropriate, anticipate client needs to ensure that they receive the best possible service from the Bank;
- Proven ability to build and lead a team of professionals, and use the talents and expertise of team members productively;
- A command of standard Microsoft Office Suite software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable;
- Fluency in English and/or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.