Save the Children is a leading international organization helping children in need around the world. First established in the UK in 1919, separate national organizations have been set up in more than twenty-eight countries, sharing the aim of improving the lives of children through education, health care and economic opportunities, as well as emergency aid in cases of natural disasters, war and conflict.
In Nigeria, Save the Children has been working since 2001. The early focus was on getting children actively involved in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. Today, Save the Children is working in seven federal states - Zamfara, Yobe, Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna - focusing on providing basic healthcare and protecting children.
Policy and Research Assistant
- The Advocacy and Research Assistant will support the Advocacy and Campaign Unit in the implementation of the humanitarian advocacy strategy as per Save the Children International procedures and guidelines
- The incumbent will have a special focus on the implementation of the Protection of Children in Conflict (PCiC) project in Borno State with support from the advocacy team in the country office as well as the Protection team
- S/he will assist in incorporating the Every Last Child/ Girls Education Campaign, into humanitarian programs.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Director of Advocacy and Campaign
- Technical responsibility: undertaking research, writing policy documents, policy analysis, advocacy campaigns
- Duration of Contract: 3 months
Key Areas of Accountability
Strengthen our research and advocacy delivery:
- Support, assist researches on SCI Nigeria advocacy and campaign topics with particular emphasis on the humanitarian sector
- Support produce policy researches, producing policy briefs, policy notes, position papers, briefing papers etc around Every Last Child Campaign, Girls Education Campaign objectives, in both humanitarian and development programs; produce advocacy messages, reports and documents
- Support strengthening the way we communicate about our advocacy and campaign through producing series of campaign presentations and other supporting communication materials to be circulated internally and externally
- Support Project/Program based Advocacy staff in undertaking researches, policy analysis and advocacy program design and implementation
- Collaborate and partner with academic and research institutions in undertaking joint researches on SCI Nigeria advocacy objectives
- Facilitate the dissemination of assessment reports.
Provide overall support to the Unit:
- Share experience with staff, train and transfer skills to SCI staff
- Assist, support the Director of Advocacy and Campaign, and other members of the team to perform other duties and tasks as determined by the line manager
- Internal: Director of Advocacy and Campaign; Advocacy and Campaign Manager; Humanitarian Programs
- Director; MEAL and Advocacy & Campaign Unit staff
- External: INGO Forum, partner organizations, research and academic institutions
Competences and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Delivering results - Developing self and others - Working effectively with others - Communicating with impact
- Adhere to SCI Values: Accountability; Ambition; Collaboration; Creativity; Integrity
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated; thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Qualifications and Experience
- Master of Arts (MA) Degree in Law, Political Science, Human Rights Law, International Development from a recognized higher educational institution. (Those with a Masters in view may be considered depending on their level of progress)
- Commitment to SCI’s mission, values and approach.
- Interest in child rights, development issues.
- Excellent experience in policy research and analysis, strong writing skills of policy briefs, policy notes and position statements
- Ability to work with people of different cultures
- Excellent interpersonal skills end ability to work successfully in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to assess priorities and handle multiple tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality;
- Excellent organizational, communication, writing and presentation skills
- Ability to work and manage various projects in steam salting with limited supervision
- Ability to work well with people at all levels.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork and effectiveness within a dynamic integrated project.
- Ability and willingness to travel to project’s zones when required
- Fluency in English
- Demonstrated expert level ability in writing policy research and analysis
- Recent graduate
- Passion and commitment for child rights
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.