ActionAid is an anti-poverty agency that prioritises works with the poor and excluded; promoting values and commitment in civil society, institutions and Governments with the aim of achieving structural changes in order to eradicate injustices and poverty in the world. ActionAid Nigeria is an affiliate of ActionAid International, an International Non-Governmental organisation registered in The Netherlands with its headquarters in Johannesburg South Africa. ActionAid International works in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe and the Americas.
Consultant - Cartoonist For Smile Project
Coverage: Five (5) SMILE States (Benue, Edo, FCT, Kogi and Nasarawa)
Unit: Programme Quality Unit
Reports to: Head of Programmes
Timeframe: August 14th - 20th 2018
Contract: Short Term Contract
- The overall goal of SMILE project is improving the well-being of 600,000 Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) and 150,000 caregivers through a sustainable, comprehensive and coordinated program in FCT and four states of Nigeria within two strategic objectives (SOs). The achievement of SO1 is essential to achieving program sustainability and local ownership of the OVC response. While CRS is the principal recipient of this USAID funded project SMILE’ ActionAid Nigeria’s (AA) proven approach to government capacity strengthening; takes lead on the SMILE strategic Objective 1(SO1) ActionAid within its SO1 strategy uses the OD approach to contribute towards the achievement of the SMILE Goal by employing Systems’ strengthening within the Different Levels of Engagement (Individual and Institutional Level)
- The Intermediate Result (IR): is S/LGAs use organizational systems and technical capacity to coordinate effective care to OVC and households achievable within three outputs 1-(S/LGA strengthens organizational and technical capacity; 2-Strengthened systems for child protection at the state and LGAs and 3- Policy advocacy and social mobilization).ActionAid SMILE project over the past 5 years have worked and delivered its component in line with the outputs
- In line with the 3 outputs, a consultant is needed to develop a series of success stories in cartoon format for SMILE end of project communication booklet which will highlight outcomes of the project in 5 SMILE states (Benue, Edo, FCT, Kogi and Nasarawa).
Responsibilities / Key Deliverables
The consultant will develop and submit the underlisted specific deliveries from a pool of success stories already collected by ActionAid:
- At least 10 strong stories of change professionally illustrated in cartoon format for the booklet. This will include at least 2 illustrative stories per state.
- Submit 2 samples of illustrative cover designs for the stories of change booklet.
- Submit 5 illustrative cartoon canvas to be used in promoting project successes on social media (This will include at least one illustrative canvas per state).
- State and LGA Partners as stipulated
- Management and staff of Ministries of Women Affairs and Social Development
- Management and staff Local government /Area Councils
- Management and staff Social Development Secretariat
- Child Right Implementation Committees
- Quality Improvement Teams in state
- Vulnerable Children Networks Technical Steering Committees
Terms of Payment
- He/She shall be responsible for his/her tax and other statutory obligations. ActionAid shall however deduct the statutory 5% With Holding Tax (WHT) and remit to relevant authority. The Consultant should provide AAN his/her Tax Identification Number (TIN) for the purposes of remittance.
- The Consultant will support AAN as agreed in this contract and as subsequently agreed between S(he) and Head of Programmes or any other person authorised to negotiate with him/her on behalf of the organisation. S(he) is therefore to indicate availability within specified timeframe stated in this ToR.
- Education: Recognised degree
- Experience: At least 5 years’ experience delivering similar assignment
- Familiarity with development work
- High level written and oral communications skills in English
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity;
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with development partners;
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments;
- A good grasp of English language
Ownership of outputs:
- The outputs of this assignment belong to ActionAid Nigeria. All alterations of the document will be discussed with the Communication Coordinator.
- The consultant will be free to work independently from any base location or where required. S/he will be expected to provide his/her own work equipment and space except where otherwise stated.
- The consultant will work, be accountable directly to ActionAid Nigeria’s Communications Coordinator with supervision from the SMILE Project Manager.
Child Protection Policy
- ActionAid has stipulated guidelines under its Child Protection Policy which you are obliged to abide by. Please find it attached. Kindly note that breach of this policy can lead to termination of your consultancy contract.
- Any alterations to this contract must be negotiated with the Health Unit in conjunction with HR. Failure to comply with all the terms on this contract (or its amended forms) will result in non-payment of either part or all of the fees due and accrued.
Responsibility of Claims:
- The consultant will be responsible for any claims brought against his/her person, employees, volunteers, agents, contractors and sub-contractors
Method of Application
Interested and qualified companies/consultants are invited to apply by sending a company profile, invoice, sample of past works and references. This must be submitted electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com and cc: using the subject line SMILE Cartoonist
Note: The selected company will sign a contract with AAN and is responsible for acquiring relevant tools and other professional editors needed for the task within the timeframe.