SPRING is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates into the following vacant positions:
To serve as the Study Coordinator for an evaluation of the implementation of the Community Infant and Young Child Feeding (C-IYCF) Counseling Package in Nigeria
Period of Performance:
Approximately 2 years (with a tentative starting date of May 1, 2014)
Place of Performance:
The Strengthening Partnerships, Results and Innovations in Nutrition Globally (SPRING) Project is a five-year cooperative agreement funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), with an office in Abuja, Nigeria. SPRING has established a partnership with UNICEF for the evaluation of the Community Infant and Young Child Feeding (C-IYCF) Counseling Package. The main purpose of the evaluation is to establish the effectiveness of the C-IYCF Counselling Package in Nigeria.
SPRING is seeking an IYCF Study Coordinator to oversee the implementation and evaluation of the IYCF project. This position will be supervised by the SPRING/Nigeria Country Manager and seconded to UNICEF, based in UNICEF’s Kaduna state office. This position will last approximately two years.
The applicant should have:
1. Experience working in Nigeria; experience in Kaduna State preferred
2. Experience in managing, coordinating, and monitoring nutrition program activities
3. Experience in the implementation and management of evaluations and/or cross-sectional studies on nutrition programs/interventions, e.g., household surveys, health worker surveys, and/or focus groups
4. Experience with qualitative and quantitative research methodology on knowledge, attitudes, perceptions and practices related to nutrition
5. Experience in assessing nutrition practices including nutrient adequacy of child diets and nutritional status
6. Knowledge of national nutrition policies and strategies, particularly related to infant and young child nutrition (including the high impact interventions for the first 1000 days (from pregnancy to the first 2 years)
7. Familiarity with the nutrition community in Nigeria
8. Ability to manage, in a collaborative manner, the work of other institutions and individuals involved in the implementation and evaluation
9. Ability to develop good working relationships with state and LGA government officials
10. Ability to manage multiple tasks at once, very organized
11. Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
12. Fluency in Hausa would be an asset
13. Master’s degree in nutrition, public health or related field
14. Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
The Study Coordinator will be expected to:
1. Submit quarterly work plans to be reviewed and approved by SPRING and UNICEF.
2. Ensure the timely execution of evaluation activities as defined by the evaluation scope of work to be carried out by the data collection firm.
3. Provide technical support to and participate in (as appropriate) critical events related to the implementation of the C-IYCF Counseling Package, such as the training of field workers.
4. Support and supervise, as appropriate, all aspects of the evaluation including training of data collectors; testing of the tools, survey fieldwork; focus group discussions, and other aspects of the IYCF evaluation including facilitate logistics and travel support as required .
5. Communicate on a regular basis (weekly) with UNICEF and SPRING, reporting on supervisory visits of data collection and C-IYCF package implementation.
6. Communicate with the data collection firm(s) on behalf of UNICEF and SPRING, as requested
7. Serve as an intermediary between SPRING / UNICEF and the data collection firm.
8. Conduct frequent visits to supervise data collection and implementation to ensure that the evaluation protocol is followed and tools are correctly used and that activities are executed in a timely fashion as defined by the work plan.
9. Serve as the intermediary between SPRING / UNICEF and the IYCF program implementers in study LGAs.
10. Participate in and report to the Technical Advisory Group.
11. Participate in the preparation of SPRING quarterly progress reports as well as annual status updates.
12. Participate in the preparation of the final evaluation report and the related research paper(s).
13. Travel to Abuja periodically for national Technical Advisory Group (TAG) meetings and/or other coordination activities.
All applicants should submit a current Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Please include the job title and the job ID number in the email subject of the application.
This position will close at 5:00 PM (WAT) on Friday, April 25, 2014.