On behalf of United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (Nigeria), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) announces the following vacancy:
Post Title: Operations Associate
Level of post: SB3/3 similar to G6
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Type of contract: Service Contract (project personnel)
Duration for post: One Year (with possibility of renewal)
Closing date for all posts: 19th March 2014
- Under direct supervision of UNODC Operation Manager, the overall guidance of UNDP Deputy Country Director Operations and direct collaboration of the relevant head of units, the Operations Associate will be responsible for the execution of transparent and efficient Procurement, Finance, Administration and HR services with respect to all UNODC Transactions performed under UNDP authority. Specifically, the Operations Associate will serve as the UNODC focal point within UNDP on Procurement, Finance, Administration and HR in order to promote a collaborative and client-oriented approach that supports quick processing of all UNODC requests as well as quality delivery and value for money of UNDP services to UNODC.
- S/he will work in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme support and Project teams in UNODC Country Office (CO - Nigeria,) as appropriate in processing all Procurement, Finance, Administration and HR requests from UNODC submitted to UNDP for processing, to ensure full compliance with applicable UN rules and regulations and to resolve any queries that may arise from these requests. S/he will also be responsible for providing overall UNDP operational and administrative support to UNODC Country and Project Teams.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide overall quality assurance support to UNODC in relation to UNDP processes and rules and regulations.
- Act as an interface between UNDP and UNODC Country and Projects Teams for effective implementation of activities
- Carry out various administrative tasks in support of UNODC Country and Project teams, including following-up with relevant UNDP Units on all UNODC correspondences, vendors registration (in ATLAS), sourcing, analyzing and evaluation of quotes, tracking of payments, and other related tasks.
- Provide financial support to UNODC, including receiving duly signed payment requests from UNODC and processing related vouchers using UNDP Atlas system.
- Follow-up and ensure that payments are approved, budget-checked and included in the pay cycle in a timely fashion.
- Follow-up payments to ensure that responsible UNDP Officers authorize/sign electronic transfers/cheques and subsequently provide remittance advice to beneficiaries/inform vendors for cheques collection.
- Prepare and share with UNODC a weekly report on the status of all payments in process/processed.
- Ensure that workshops payments are processed timely and submitted to relevant Banks with appropriate instructions.
- In Liaison with UNODC Finance Team, assist in providing clarifications and responding to queries emanating from UNDP on the basis of processed vouchers/E-iovs of UNODC.
- Liaise with UNDP Service Center to ensure timely execution of procurement requests in line with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Ensure that relevant control procedures are observed with respect to procurement and payments for goods and services.
- Ensure that relevant shadow records and files pertaining to UNODC requests are maintained and readily accessible to UNODC
- Liaise with UNDP HR on behalf of UNODC in carrying out actions covering the entire span of human resource activities, ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedure
- In collaboration with UNODC HR focal point, review all UNODC requests for contracts issuance/extension/termination and related documentation ensuring they meet UNDP HR rules and regulations requirements, and follow-up with UNDP HR for timely execution of requested tasks.
- In Liaison with UNODC Finance Team, validation in Atlas of UNDP cost-recovery charges to UNODC for Procurement, Finance, Administration and HR services rendered by UNDP.
- Perform other related tasks, as required
Sound knowledge and understanding of concepts and approaches relevant to budgetary and financial management; demonstrable knowledge of procurement and HR processes, and familiarity with UN rules, regulations, policies and procedures as they relate to programme and financial administration; demonstrable commitment to the values of the United Nations, particularly integrity in daily activities and behaviors; demonstrated professional competence and mastery of administrative processes; ability to perform a range of administrative functions, including event planning and organizing and human resources administration; ability to map out potential risks and make contingencies, as required. Shows pride in work and achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges.
Takes ownership of responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost, and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Proven ability to communicate, both orally and in writing, in a clear and concise manner, including ability to prepare minutes, workshop reports, project/activity reports; demonstrated ability to draft routine correspondence and basic documents, such as minutes, letters, memos, invitation cards and letters and to match style and format to audience.
Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from the clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Planning & Organizing:
- Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands; able to work on tight deadlines; knowledge on how to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Critical Success Factors:
- Timely, effective, transparent, and accountable support provided to UNODC for all UNDP executed services
- Significant reduction in rates of returns/queries raised by UNDP on UNODC requests
- Quality follow-up on all UNODC requests to UNDP, for timely action
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary degree with a specialized training and certificate in finance, procurement and HR from an accredited institution is required.
- First University degree in Accounting, Finance, Business/Public Administration, Social Sciences or related fields is preferable.
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in providing operation services coordinating finance, procurement and HR management.
- Experience in management services, managing staff and operational systems.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably ATLAS, FOML will be an advantage.
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required for external candidates.
- Fluency in any UN (preferably English) and national language of the duty station.
- Up-to-date knowledge and/or practical experience of auditing approaches and practices is desirable.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should click here to apply online.
The UN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Qualified women are highly encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.