If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC is about to start up an emergency response programme in Nigeria to respond to the humanitarian needs.
In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. NRC will initially be starting activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation and shelter/NFI sectors. NRC is therefore seeking an Evening Driver in Abuja, Nigeria. The Driver reports to the Logistics Officer
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Promote and share ideas for improvement
- Perform according to the work and development plan
- Drive NRC vehicles to pick or drop employees at their designated duty areas within and sometimes outside Abuja.
- Deliver Important documents to required destinations as directed.
- Ensure that all deliveries have been signed and delivered to the correct recipient
- Keep NRC vehicles clean and maintained at all times
- Perform preventive and regular maintenance on NRC vehicles
- Manage and update the vehicle log sheet
- Convey NRC staffs on assignments in and out of the office to their desired destinations
- Pick up and drop off NRC staffs and partners from the airport to their destinations
- Cleaning and maintenance of all NRC vehicles
- Chart the best route possible in order to save time
- Update the office on the status of the vehicle particulars for timely registrations and renewals.
- Experience from working as a Driver in a humanitarian/recovery context
- 2-3 years Driving experience in Abuja
- Minimum of WAEC
- Additional Educational qualification preferable
- Fluency in Spoken/Written English
- Driving school certificate
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Valid Driver’s License
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Must be able to work under pressure
- Relevant experience in driving in Abuja and knowledge of the best/alternative routes in Abuja.
- Excellent inter personal and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Organised and a good planner and possess significant understanding of complex emergencies
- Ability to work in insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Commencement: ASAP
- Contract period: 12month
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
- Duty station: Abuja
Method of Application
Applicants can submit their application letter and updated CV to the following e-mail address: email@example.com The title of the position (Driver - Abuja) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail. Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for application is 8th July, 2016 (any application received after the deadline will not be considered). The Norwegian Refugee Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position.