Ref Id: 200003JG
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better health care, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
- We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
- We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
- Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
- We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organization and all candidates will, therefore, be subject to this scrutiny.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- Reporting to the GAC Programme Manager. The Education Coordinator provides both operations and technical assistance and oversight on all aspects relating to Education in Emergencies projects.
- The job holder provides overall programmatic and operational coordination and management including; planning, implementation, capacity enhancement, monitoring/ evaluation and reporting both internally (within SCI) and externally (for/with partners).
- The job holder may be called upon as and when necessary to support the emergency team in cases of humanitarian crisis.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: GAC PM.
- Staff directly reporting to this post: EiE Officers.
Key Areas of Accountabilities
Projects Coordination & Management:
- Oversee the coordination and implementation of the Education projects across Northeast in line with the design of the projects and donor requirements.
- Establish, maintain and strengthen linkages in the management and implementation of Education Projects.
- Create and sustain positive working relationships with the partners and other stakeholders.
- Plan and coordinate LGEA, and State level engagements with partners and key stakeholders.
- Monitor and ensure timely and quality reports are submitted as per the reporting requirements.
- Working closely with Education Programme Manager & MEAL to ensure quality program delivery, documentation and reporting of progress.
Operational Planning and implementation:
- In close coordination with Education Programme Manager, provide ensure planning, development of detailed implementation plans, phased budgets, implementation, monitoring, documentation and reporting for EDUCATION projects is done.
- Overseeing the implementation and budget performance in line with the projects plans and budgets.
- Effectively support the projects staff and partners in developing annual plans, in line with EDUCATION Projects design and Save the Children International planning guidelines and ensure compliance with the agreed work plans and that programme objectives and targets are being realised in line with the funding proposals.
- Support staff and partners to ensure that EDUCATION Projects implementation are to the desired standards and on time.
- Provide guidance to the partners through the planning processes to develop plans that are cost effective and in line with EDUCATION Projects funding.
- Maintain high standard of transparency and accountability in the course of programme implementation while ensuring integrity and timeliness of activities implementation in meeting programme objectives, compliance with donors & Save the Children policies.
- Provision of regular operations and implementation updates on project progress and challenges to allow for timely interventions and corrective actions by management.
- Ensure the timely reviews and adjustments for the project operational and implementation plans and budgets as may be required from time to time.
Finance and Budget Management:
- Manage the Projects budget in coordination with Education Programme Manager and Field Finance Manager.
- Overseeing the budget performance to ensure that projects implementation is on course as per the detailed implementation plans and phased budgets.
- In coordination with the Programme Manager conduct budget monitoring, suggest necessary revisions and prepare draft reports.
- Ensure that the budget monitoring reports are responded to in time and with accurate information.
- Working closely with Education Programme Manager to ensure that partners are well guided, supported and their capacity built in sound financial management procedures.
Partner Development and Management:
- Participate in partner’s capacity assessment and identify capacity building needs for the EDUCATION Projects partners.
- Develop with the partner’s detailed implementation/work plans and phased budgets.
- Provide capacity building and support in implementation by partners.
- Monitor and follow up the implementation of the agreed work plan and budget to ensure that the program objectives are being realized in accordance to the program and partnership agreement and take the necessary actions for any identified deviations.
- Undertaking partners’ capacity assessment in order to identify capacity gaps and areas of support that the partners will require for effective implementation of the projects.
- Undertake visits to the partners on both programmatic and operational support.
- Ensure timely, accurate and high quality financial and programmatic reporting by the partners and take corrective actions for any non compliance by the partners.
Program and Financial Reporting:
- Work in close collaboration with the Programme Manager in the preparation of timely and high quality progress and end of projects narrative and financial reports which are in accordance to the donor reporting schedule and formats.
- Review all program financial reports ensuring that donor guidelines have been followed and high standard met, prior to submission to management.
- Organize and facilitate quarterly follow ups and progress review meetings to address key performance issues from the reports.
- Overall Budget Vs Actual expenditure analysis and variance explanations.
Internal and external engagements:
- Ensuring that the program experience is represented and given recognition at stakeholder meetings, workshops, donor, networks and any other engagements.
- Develop and maintain regular channels of communication with partners and key stakeholders at all levels (Community, LGEA and State).
- Effectively manage projects design and study processes which include assessments, baseline and evaluation studies, putting in place a functional Activity Tracking Table.
- Ensure that the projects quality bench marks are followed.
- Collecting and managing complaints and feedback in close coordination with MEAL team and Projects Officers.
- Ensure regular monitoring of projects results, documentation of projects case studies, lessons learnt, significant changes and best practices and coordinating learning and reflection meetings/sessions
- Ensure an effective programs/ projects monitoring and evaluation systems is in place.
- Monitor programs/ projects activities to ensure quality, timeliness and adherence to both Country Office and international Save the Children policies and procedures.
Human Resources Management and Development:
- Working together with the Education Program Manager and Project Team to identify learning and development needs of the project teams and develop specific plans to address the learning needs.
- Support implementation of the Save the Children performance management system, by supporting, supervising and reviewing performance of the EiE Officers. .
- Coaching and mentoring the EiE Officers on the provision of technical support and implementation of quality programmes.
- Capacity building of EiE officer through trainings, coaching, performance management, implementation as well as in learning and reflection events
- Setting and managing staffing targets, performance and priorities for EiE Officers
- Participate in monthly/weekly project management meetings to enable adequate staff support
- In liaison with Programme Manager, Education Advisor and Humanitarian leadership team provide guidance and support to projects team, partners and stakeholders.
Academic Background; Experience & Person Specifications
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Education. Experience in managing integrated programmes across different thematic areas such as education, child protection, child rights governance or disaster risk reduction is a must.
- At least 5 years of accrued working experience in program implementation with a minimum of 3 years in a management level position in an international NGO and those applying partnership approaches is desirable.
- Experience in strategic thinking and planning skills, be able to set priorities, prepare manageable plans and to evaluate progress.
- Experience of working with local partners and Local Government and State Authorities in Education, Child Rights Governance, Health, Nutrition, Education, or Child Protection is an added advantage.
- Strong analytical skills and strategic planning abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
- Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
- Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Excellent time management and planning capacity.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Judgement and Decision-Making:
- The Projects Coordinator will in close collaboration with the, Education Programme Manager, Technical Advisors, Team Leaders and Humanitarian Director be responsible for making quick decisions aimed at improving timely and quality delivery of the interventions.
- Some of the decisions that require consultations include but not limited to; major operational issues, technical guidance, policies/procedural changes and financial decisions.
go to method of application »
Job ID: 200003JR
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Reports to: MEAL Coordinator
Staff directly reporting to this post: TBD
- Level 3 - The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- The Emergency MEAL officer will coordinate the collection, compilation, consolidation and analysis of data to track programs/ projects activities, monitor progress and support impact measurement.
- S/he is responsible for establishing and ensuring better data management systems for the core program.
- He/she provides technical support and training to the field staffs, participates to the roll out of the accountability framework and contributes to internal knowledge building.
- Provide support to implementing partners and program staff to systematically measure progress in the implementation.
- She/he will provide a framework through which these measurements (M&E data) are fed back to those involved in the running of the various component of the project and ensure that the information can support and guide the decisions of the management team to improve the quality and impact the program operations.
Key Areas of Accountability
Key Responsibilities for M&E:
- Liaise with the MEAL Coordinator for the development and implementation of an M&E Plan for the Sector and provide MEAL related support to the sector.
- Develop data capture tools for beneficiary identification and registration and distribution register
- Provide community organizations, implementing partners and save the Children staff with clear and simple instructional sheets for each data collection tool and trained/provide regular coaching to relevant staffs and other stakeholders on data quality and the use of the data collection tools.
- In consultation with education sector lead, design and develop program database, IPTT and regularly update database for the sector.
- Update M&E plan timely and provide feedback to program staff on status and quality of implementation.
- Contribute to the revision of monitoring and evaluation tools and train program team on design and proper use of it.
- Organize learning events and document lesson learn/findings of PDM, CPA, field monitoring visit with education sector and develop learning paper with action plan and timeline.
- Conduct regular field visits to track progress against indicators and put in place systems for routine data quality checks and validations
- Provide project related figures and conduct regular data verification exercises to ensure reporting and collection of quality data; Verify entered data for completeness, correctness, and consistency and follow up on any data quality issues;
- Respect schedules and deadlines agreed upon with his/her Manager.
- Lead the coordination of field data collection and the flow of reports from the field to the management team and provide regular feedbacks to field workers and key stakeholders of progress in program implementations.
- With support from the MEAL Coordinator and MEAL Manager, establish and maintain project level information management system.
- Actively participate in M&E meetings with key stakeholders. Take part in diagnostic studies, evaluations and surveys;
- Report back any problems and constraints encountered during the course of the activities and suggest operational solutions.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly progress reports and statistics as well as mid-/final reports to stakeholders
- Advise and put in place a system for promoting transparency and accountability of plan for stakeholders.
- Conduct Post Distribution Monitoring, Child Participatory Activities for the project and Field monitoring visit to project locations.
- Data analysis and writing of monitoring and evaluation reports e.g. analyse PDM/CPA data and produce reports
- Take part in the recruitment of enumerators and survey consultants;
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- Minimum 3 years post NYSC experience in M&E positions and/or program experience in field data collection in emergencies
- Detailed knowledge of M&E frameworks and M&E Plans, systems and indicator reference sheets
- Experience maintaining programmatic databases
- Good understand of routine data quality checks/validation
- Experience in survey and qualitative interviewing, including supervising field data collection teams and writing research case studies
- Advance knowledge Microsoft Office Suite, especially MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Training and facilitation skills in Education,
- Experience in advocacy for education related issues
- Working knowledge of Hausa language
- Have experience and/or knowledge about working with children on research issues and is aware of the local legal and child protection systems.
- Experience of working in a post conflict environment/refugee/IDP situation
- Project management experience
- Ability to work as part of a team, Flexibility, adaptability, and patience
- Ability to work under pressure often to strict deadlines,
- ability to assess problems and recommend solutions
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin and data management systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.