Job Location: Nigeria (Kaduna state) but with possible travel to sub-Saharan Africa to support LSTM programmes - specifically in Kenya and Tanzania.
Required Qualification: MBBS with specialist training in Obstetrics and gynaecology OR Midwifery qualification with clinical experience in maternity services at a senior level. Additional postgraduate-level degree in public health; and/or post-basic training on research in reproductive health or/and neonatal health.
Experience: 5 years
Available Position: 1
Duration: Fixed-term appointment at 100%FTE until 31 Dec 2021 and then renewable annually 31 Dec 2024 (subject to funding)
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES: Under the supervision of LSTM and working in close cooperation with the LSTM Abuja team, the incumbent is required to carry out the following duties:
- Support the implementation of the GFAPU LSTM workplan in Nigeria and specific aspects of work plans in other countries as needed.
- Provide technical support to the development/adaptation, and lead the delivery, of interventions on essential components of antenatal and postnatal care (ANC-PNC), quality improvement (QI), and supportive supervision.
- Provide technical assistance within LSTM programmes in conducting training needs assessments, organising and implementing training activities with a focus on ANC, PNC, EmOC&NC (emergency obstetric and newborn care) and quality of care methods including maternal and perinatal death audit and standards-based audit.
- Provide technical support to the GFAPU programmes in updating and adapting relevant guidelines, materials and tools, strengthening relations with MOH & other relevant stakeholders and organisations.
- Support the formation and strengthening of partnerships with MOH and other relevant agencies, including participation in joint actions such as technical working groups and workshops to facilitate capacity-building and programme implementation.
- Facilitate communications and information dissemination of best practices to relevant stakeholders.
- Assist in the monitoring and evaluation of the impact of GFAPU programmes.
- Compile reports as per programme schedules and assist with documentation of activities as needed.
- Prepare regular reports and updates for LSTM on programmes and specific activities implemented, including latest developments in country related to Maternal & Newborn Health.
- Conduct literature reviews and systematic reviews on relevant topics related to GFAPU programmes.
- Work towards achieving programme objectives.
- Undertake and apply learning from appropriate training and development programmes.
- To ensure compliance with organisational procedures and contractual conditions.
- Act in a manner that safeguards children and/or vulnerable adults as applicable to the role.
- To carry any other duty assigned by your employer.
PERSON SPECIFICATION: Technical Officer, Nigeria (Kaduna state)
Essential (E) / Desirable (D)
Education & Training
- Educated to Degree Level or equivalent
- MBBS with specialist training in Obstetrics and gynaecology OR Midwifery qualification with clinical experience in maternity services at a senior level
- Additional postgraduate-level degree in public health; and/or post-basic training on research in reproductive health or/and neonatal health
- Successful work experience in African countries with evidence of high-quality assessment standards which will be evidenced in references
- Clinical field experience in maternal and newborn health in a developing country undertaking duties such as supervision of labour ward staff and organisation of maternity services
- Experience of working to targets and deadlines
- Experience of providing technical assistance /consultancy
- Experience working with MoH
- Understanding of health systems at policy level
Application Form and interview
- Knowledge and behaviours that support equality, diversity and inclusive practice
- Knowledge and behaviours that support safeguarding as applicable to the role
- Knowledge of strategies and policies for MNCH services and familiarity with related evidence-based public health approaches
- Proven ability to write research or project proposals
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work with staff at all levels
- Confident communicator with the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to work productively and co-operatively as a team member and to develop flexible working relationships with academic and non-academic colleagues and students
- Computer literate
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Fluency in written and oral English
- Has effective interpersonal skills and the ability to be sensitive in difficult situations
- Sensitivity to a variety of cultures
- Flexible with regard to working arrangements
- Enthusiastic approach to work
Must be able to travel extensively and work overseas
Fixed-term appointment at 100%FTE until 31 Dec 2021 and then renewable annually 31 Dec 2024 (subject to funding)
This is a non-contractual document that can be varied from time to time as circumstances dictate.
This job description is intended to summarize the main duties and responsibilities of the post; this is not intended to be a full and exhaustive list of tasks. All staff are expected to demonstrate flexibility and willingness to perform appropriate tasks when the need arises.