Location: Calabar, Nigeria
Reports to: Country Representative
Status: National position, 6 months contract with possibility of extension based on performance & availability of funds
Language requirements: English
Eligibility: Local National; must be legally entitled to work in Nigeria
Cuso International is a North American leading international development agency that works through volunteers to overcome poverty, operating in Nigeria for more than 60 years.
Cuso International, a Canadian development NGO, is implementing a UNHCR supported project in Cross River and Benue State called Skills for Improvement of Livelihood for Refugees (SKILLS Project) in refugee settlements and in Refugee Holding Communities in Cross River, Benue and Taraba States – which aims to improve livelihoods, increase income generation and self-reliance through sustainable enterprise development for Cameroonian refugees and host community members in Cross River Benue and Taraba States. This will be achieved through the implementation of livelihood interventions covering vocational and technical trainings, setting up of farm hubs, entrepreneurship and business management, life skills and Access to agricultural / livestock / fisheries production.
Reporting to the Country Representative at the Cuso Nigeria office in Calabar, the Finance and Administrative Manager (Consultancy) provides accounting leadership within the Office and is responsible for the accurate and timely maintenance of the organization’s financial accounting records. The FAM will also oversee the hiring of local staff and consultants; purchasing of office equipment, supplies and services.
- Ensuring that all financial transactions are appropriately recorded in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Cuso International policies;
- Contributing to the overall financial management of the Cuso International Nigeria Office by ensuring the security and accountability of the organization’s financial program;
- Reporting on the appropriate legal and regulatory obligations and requirements in Nigeria;
- Providing ongoing review and implementation of improvements to financial controls, systems and policies and procedures in the country office;
- Lead the effective development, management and monitoring of an annual department budget with timely and appropriate performance-to-budget analysis;
- Lead on preparation of donor financial reports to ensure full compliance with donor requirements;
- Providing Cuso International HQ with budget and financial reports and updates as required;
- Supporting the Refugee project team by overseeing expenditures in the project work plan budget.
- Overseeing the recruitment and supervision of key finance and administrative staff for the Office;
- Overseeing the processing and management of local consultants;
- Completing all administrative procedures with relevant state and national agencies for the registration and operation of the office in Nigeria (this may include finalize procedures with the National Planning Commission related to volunteer visa);
- Purchasing office equipment and services in compliance with Cuso International procurement policies;
- Ensure all financial and administrative matters relating to volunteers are processed effectively and in a timely manner and
- Undertaking specific additional responsibilities from time-to-time, as may be agreed upon with the Project Director.
- Supervising members of the finance and administration team, this position will ensure the ongoing maintenance of Cuso International’s general ledger, including the completion of monthly, quarterly and annual period end close procedures.
- Plan and manage the delivering of financial management information from Cuso Nigeria office to Cuso International’s HQ office, located in Ottawa, Canada.
- Maintaining grant compliance in line with donor contractual obligations and requirements
- Supervise, guide and advise a team of finance and admin staff (Finance Officers, Administrative Officer, Procurement Officer, Logistics and ICT Officer and Drivers); and
- Ensure compliance with organizational decisions, policies and procedures within the Finance and Administrative Manager’s (Consultancy) areas of responsibility.
- BSc/MSc in Accounting & Finance and/or Business Administration with acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience related to job requirements
- Minimum 10 years progressive experience in a financial/accounting and administrative environment leading in a supervisory role
- Minimum 5 years in grant management and compliance of major donors
- NGO experience at a Managerial level
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining general ledger and related accounting schedules through a full accounting cycle
- Demonstrated experience in managing financial and cost accounting responsibilities in a project accounting environment
- Integrity, honesty and a strong commitment to excellence
- Ability to identify and frame situations and opportunities, and make appropriate decisions with minimal oversight
- Knowledge and use of Accounting software
- Good and working knowledge of procurement process
- Process and detail orientated on all aspects of the organization’s finances and operations
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills to relay finance information to non-financial users
- Ability to work effectively with diverse teams both in the field and at Cuso International HQ
- Ability to establish team and individual priorities and work towards specific objectives
- Ability to travel locally as needed
- Ability to work irregular hours occasionally, as needed
- Recognized professional designation such as CPA, CMA, CGA or equivalent is preferred
- Acquisition of ICAN (Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria) Certificate
- Knowledge of Cuso International goals and approach to development work
- Previous experience working with United Nations agency in a financial reporting capacity
- Interest and/or knowledge of international development issues, including humanitarian issues; and
- Previous experience working in an international volunteer sending organization in Africa generally, and Nigeria specifically.
Your application must be forwarded to email@example.com with the position Finance and Admin Manager (Consultancy) - Calabar clearly marked as the subject title. Applications must be received by Tuesday, August 18, 2021, 11:59 pm Eastern Time. No late applications will be considered. CV must not be more than 4 pages in length maximum and covering letter must be 1-page long maximum. You must also indicate your current take home after tax and your expectations on the email.
To be considered, your résumé and cover letter should demonstrate that all of the essential qualifications are met. Applications that do not meet the above requirements will not be considered.
Cuso International is an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodations will be provided at any stages of the hiring process upon request. Thank you for your interest in Cuso International.