The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Information Technology Assistant
SVN No.: SVN2018/24
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Organizational Unit: Resource Management
IOM Classification: G5
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term (SST) 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager/Head of Sub-Office, Lagos and the direct supervision of the Head of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Unit, the successful candidate will be responsible for the installation, operation and maintenance of computer systems, hardware peripherals and implementation of ITC requirements for IOM Lagos and Benin sub offices supporting all projects.
- He/ She will oversee daily incoming calls to the IT department, open help desk tickets as appropriate, troubleshoot and correct minor IT issues and route more complex IT issues to the head of ICT Unit, Abuja. He/She will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Install approved software systems on servers and workstations according to the set standards. Installing new hardware including: PC, laptops, servers, printers and software in any location and periodically performs system clean-up in Lagos and Benin sub-offices.
- Maintaining installed software, ensuring proper updates (including latest antivirus definitions) are applied and making optimizations when necessary.
- Resolve any End User queries and constraints related to software and other ITC components in coordination with the Mission’s ICT Unit, elevating those that cannot be resolved.
- Verify ITC components are carried out within the Organization rules regulations and procedures, while reporting deviations and other constraints faced.
- Raise awareness of mission staff members on IOM ITC regulations and standards.
- Manage the email user accounts, mailing lists. The lists should be checked constantly for integrity.
- Provides first level support to users and trouble-shoot issues related to access, online connection, file storage, and application functionality.
- Acts as the first point of contact for staff on collection of new hardware and replacement hardware.
- Identify faulty devices and take necessary action to replace them, maintain log and/or list of required repairs and maintenance; maintain IOM computers, peripherals and network devices and reports hardware malfunctions to the ICT Unit Head.
- Maintains IT equipment inventory; monitors inventory levels and alert supervisor when low thresholds are reached; identify and prepare hardware for disposal when appropriate Responsible for tracking ICT equipment Procurement Requests, testing of new equipment and reporting to the Mission’s ICT Head.
- Make user data and server backups: the backups should be tested randomly for consistency
- Coordinating with Benin sub-office to ensure maintenance of IT standards and identify IT issues; Diagnoses and resolves any hardware, software, or connectivity problem with minimum delay.
- Undertakes sub-office visits to resolve ICT issues.
- Prepare daily, weekly monthly and yearly statistics for UKTB, Canada, Australia and New Zealand and submit to supervisor. Ensures and validates HAPSTAT.
- Manage the tele radiology system, file server, PACS server and iCRco_XC software. Making sure that the workstation / server hardware is operating properly, ensuring that hardware components are performing up to the expected standard.
- Manage the PABX and communication systems
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed university degree from an accredited academic institution in Computer science or Computer Engineering;
- Minimum two (2) years (4 years for school diploma holder) of relevant experience in the field of ITC including operational and field experiences,
- Ability to work with an established IT support centre – communication by phone and email;
- Good knowledge of: Windows OS and networking. VOIP and corporate Skype installations and other IOM approved software as may be required;
- MSCE and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) qualification will be an added advantage.
- Languages Fluency in English and Native Language; Fluency in multiple native languages advantageous;
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges. Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- Women with the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int indicating position applied on subject line.
- In order for the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a cover letter not more than one page specifying the motivation for application, addressed to "Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)"and with a subject line "SVN2018.116 Lagos. Project Assistant (MM/CT) G4".
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Please note that this position is open only to Nigerian National applicants and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted