TaRL Manager - Nigeria - J-PAL Africa at Abdul Jameel Latif Poverty Action Lab
Posted on: 10 August, 2018
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Abdul Jameel Latif Poverty Action
The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) was established in 2003 as a research center at the Economics Department at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Since then, it has grown into a global network of researchers who use randomized evaluations to answer critical policy questions in the fight against poverty.
TaRL Manager - Nigeria - J-PAL Africa
Length of Commitment: One year
Start Date: September 09, 2018 - October 22, 2018
Detailed Description/Program Summary
- J-PAL Africa seeks a Country Manager to support an existing Teaching at the Right Level pilot and explore further TaRL opportunities in Nigeria. The position will likely be based in Abuja with frequent trips to surrounding Northern Nigerian states.
- The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL) consists of a global network of academics who specialize in conducting randomised evaluations of social policies/programmes to generate scientific evidence about what works in the fight against poverty. J-PAL’s policy group analyses and disseminates research results and builds partnerships with policymakers to ensure that policy is driven by evidence, and effective programmes are scaled up. The Country Manager will be part of the J-PAL Africa team. J-PAL Africa, the Africa hub of J-PAL, is located in the Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit (SALDRU) in the University of Cape Town School of Economics.
- Teaching at the Right Level is an evidence-based, cost effective, and scalable intervention. Across the continent there is great excitement about the potential for this intervention to improve learning outcomes in Africa. TaRL pilots and scale ups have been launched in over five countries. This role provides an excellent opportunity to be part of global community who are committed to improving the learning outcomes of children in Africa, to lead TaRL efforts in Nigeria, and to work on the forefront of evidence-based policy making and implementation.
- Support ongoing implementation of TaRL pilot in Maiduguri, Borno State
- Coordinate partners
- Strengthen monitoring systems
- Work with TaRL Nigeria team to adjust and refine the programme in line with existing evidence and findings from monitoring data
- Ensure that helpful lessons about implementation design and pedagogical approach are collected, synthesized, utilized and communicated
- Help develop post-pilot strategy
- Provide programme management support
- Scope for new Teaching at the Right Level opportunities
- Maintain expertise in both J-PAL TaRL evidence as well as Pratham’s TaRL approach
- Identify policy priorities for Northern Nigerian states
- Assess TaRL feasibility and appropriateness
- Forge partnerships
- Catalyse and support new TaRL pilots where appropriate
- Track and manage policy budgets
- Fundraise as necessary to support new projects/ programmes
- A Master's Degree in Public Policy, Education, Management or Economics or another similar social science.A minimum of four years of relevant work experience
- Advanced writing and oral presentation skills in English
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience, including hiring, training, and management of staff
- Experience organising, managing and presenting at events which discuss policy lessons
- Experience writing and managing budgets
- Proven ability to handle multiple diverse assignments at one time, successfully complete assigned tasks and meet deadlines while conducting high-quality work
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently and flexibly to support policy outreach, scoping research and training events.
- Language Requirement: English
- Experience doing policy work in a range of countries and in Nigeria is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to identify new, high-value opportunities and mobilise both internal and external stakeholders towards working together on the given objective.
- Experience leading policy outreach including strategically identifying and mobilizing appropriate policymakers, and developing and maintaining these relationships
- Experience fundraising and writing fundraising proposals
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation, particularly in supporting government data management systems
- Programme management experience.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Abdul Jameel Latif Poverty Action Lab career website on www.povertyactionlab.org to apply
- Know More About Abdul Jameel Latif Poverty Action LabSimilar Jobs
- Health Program Coordinator (M/F) at Medecins Du Monde
- Chief of Party, I- Small Town WASH at Catholic Relief Services
- Communication Manager (Private Sector Engagement), P4 at UNICEF
- Research Coordinator at Breakthrough ACTION
- Research Application and Knowledge Management Specialist at Breakthrough ACTION
- Deputy Chief of Party and Director of Research, Monitoring and Evaluation at Breakthrough ACTION
- Camp Manager at INTERSOS
- CCCM Focal Point at INTERSOS