Application Deadline: September 14, 2020
Objectives of the Program
African Railway Center of Excellence (ARCE) is one of the African Center of Excellence II projects supported by the World Bank. Through this support from the World Bank, the center aspires to become sustainable regional hub for training and research in Railway Engineering and Management, capable of leading efforts to address priority development challenges and improve lives in South and Eastern Africa. The aim of the center is to strengthen railway professionals’ development through short-term training, MSc and PhD level education, and research in Ethiopia and the region at large. To this effect, ARCE is offering scholarships to citizens in African countries to pursue MSc studies in Railway Engineering specializing in “Civil Infrastructure”, “Rolling Stock” and “Traction and Train Control” for the 2020/21 academic year.
Eligible Applicants Applicants have to:-
- Have completed their last degree less than Five years ago during the time of application
- Be Citizens of African countries
- Applicants should have Bachelor’s degree qualification with at least a CGPA of 3.00/4.00 for males and 2.5/4.00 for females (grading shall be converted to 4.00 scale or at the level of Upper Second Class Honors or above).
- The applicant should write a personal statement/motivation letter describing the candidate`s interest to join the program.
- The applicant should have two letters of recommendations of advisors/ supervisors from previous educational institutions.
- All regional(Non Ethiopian Citizens) applicants shall submit a certificate that states English language is a media of instruction in your previous degree issued university Female candidates and candidates from underprivileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- For MSc in Railway Engineering (Civil Infrastructure) Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Civil Engineering or potentially related fields with Railway Engineering.
- For MSc in Railway Engineering (Rolling Stock) Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Mechanical Engineering including Mechanical Design, Industrial Engineering, and
- Thermal Engineering, Electro Mechanical Engineering or potentially related fields with Railway Engineering.
- For MSc in Railway Engineering (Traction and Train Control) Applications may come from engineering subject areas with strong relevance in Electrical Engineering including Electronic Communication Engineering, Power Engineering, Industrial Control Engineering, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, and Microelectronics Engineering, Electro Mechanical Engineering or potentially related fields with Railway Engineering.
Place of Study
Addis Ababa University (AAU), Addis Ababa Institute of Technology (AAiT), African Railway
Center of Excellence (ARCE), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Duration and Commencement
Scholarships are available from November 13, 2020 up to July 30, 2022 (for Two Academic years). The scholarship will be initially granted for one semester and may be extended for those who completed the first semester successfully.
The applicants should submit their document in a single PDF (COMPILED) file through email addresses; - firstname.lastname@example.org. The application file name must be [applicantname_Field of
Study.Pdf] for example jhon_Rollingstock.pdf and application only be complete if the following documents are submitted.
- Filled ARCE 2010/21 Scholarship form (Link for Application form)
- Signed curriculum vitae scanned in PDF; please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- Scanned copies of all university degree certificates
- Scanned copies of all university transcripts
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
- Academic reference from senior lecturer and proof of employment if applicable (scanned copy)
All the documents listed above should be scanned in a single PDF (COMPILED) document. Applications submitted separately will be considered incomplete.
- Type A. Full Scholarship only for regional (Non Ethiopian Citizens) Applicants: Covers monthly stipend (USD600), tuition fee, health insurance and transportation cost.
- Type B. Half Scholarship only for national (Ethiopian Citizens) competent Female Applicants: Covers monthly stipend (USD250) and tuition fee.
- Type C. Part Timer Scholarship: Covers tuition fee only.
- Type D. Self-Sponsored Students: Student should cover all the expenses. And have to be stated on application form.
Authentication fee, Registration fee, Application fee, resident permit fee and local transportation should be covered by selected candidates.
Stipend payment will be effective only after applicant has been admitted by Addis Ababa University.
No. Activities Deadline
- Deadline of Application 14th of September 2020
- Announcement for short listed candidates 1st of October 2020
- National Students Interview and Written Exam 12th of October 2020
- Regional Students Online Interview 13th -15th October 2020
- AAU Competency exam for all selected candidates 7th of November 2020
- Final selected student announcement 10th of November 2020
- Registration at Addis Ababa University (for selected candidates) – applicants should fulfill additional requirements expected by university registrar which includes official transcripts and authenticated credentials
Addis Ababa University
Addis Ababa Institute of Technology
African Railway Center of Excellence
Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa Institute of Technology (AAiT)
Samsung Building first floor, N-135
Office hours: 7:30 am – 3:00 pm EAT Monday to Friday
Tel: +251 111 261 294
Facebook: African Railway Center of Excellence or
Check all latest Scholarships
Want to get a job fast?
Signup and complete your profile on MyJobMag. Employers will find you 4x faster with a complete profile. You can download your completed profile anytime