Mercy Corps saves and improves lives in the world's toughest places. Poverty. Conflict. Disaster. These are the global challenges that we’ve been responding to since 1979, helping more than 170 million people survive emergencies and build back better.
When a natural disaster strikes, an economy collapses, or conflict erupts, Mercy Corps is there. We respond immediately to meet urgent needs for food, water and shelter, and stay beyond the emergency to partner with communities for their long-term recovery.
Mercy Corps Nigeria is recruiting to fill the position of:
Duty Station: Gombe, Nigeria (with some travel to Abuja and environs)
Position Category: Full-time
Salary Level: 1
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Reports Directly To: Head Driver
The Driver will work within the Logistics department of Operational Support structure, committed to provide reliable and compliant support to program activities in order to achieve efficient service to program beneficiaries.
General Position Summary:
The driver will provide safe, transport services for MC program and support staff in the described AOR (Area of Responsibility). The driver will adhere to all traffic and MC safety rules and follow the transport guidelines required by the MC transport department.
Essential Job Functions:
- Operate MC vehicles as assigned by supervisor;
- Maintain vehicle log-sheets in accordance with MC policies/regulations;
- Check the vehicle conditions after each trip/routinely – report needs and problems to transport management;
- Adhere to all safety and communication protocols as advised by Mercy Corps and supervisor;
- Responsible for the safekeeping of all vehicle equipment, tools, first aid kits, spares etc.;
- Keep the vehicle ready, clean and on standby – ready for use at all times;
- Assist, as required, with logistics in the office and guesthouse daily workloads;
- Cooperate and be of assistance to staff and visitors – assist in troubleshooting potential problems during daily business;
- Report all maintenance needs of the vehicle to transport management on a regular basis;
- Undertake field assignments as assigned;
- Work night shifts at MC guesthouses – as assigned by Supervisor with the understanding these are 12 hour shifts;
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Other duties as assigned.
Works Directly With:
- Procurement Assistant
- Head Driver
- Operations Manager
- Co-ordinates with Mercy Corps program and operations staff in the office/guesthouse.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Valid drivers license and experience driving 4x4 vehicles.
- Must respect and adhere to all safety and traffic rules.
- Basic understanding of English and fluency in all local languages is required.
- Knowledge of routes, duty stations, project areas, the NGO and diplomatic community is required.
Method of Application
Please submit CV and cover letter addressing the key criteria above, to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject DRIVER GOMBE by 19th September, 2014.