The British Council creates international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries, and builds trust between them worldwide. We call this work cultural relations.
We work in over 100 countries, connecting millions of people with the United Kingdom through programmes and services in the English language, the Arts, Education and Society. We believe these are the most effective means of engaging with others, and we have been doing this work since 1934.
British Council is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Type: Contract
Location: Kano, Maiduguri, Port Harcourt, Jos and Kaduna
Duration: 2 years
Purpose of job
To manage the resources function of the Nigeria Stability and Reconciliation Programme regional offices in line with the programme strategy, implementation plan and financial plan and to client and corporate standards.
Context and environment
- Nigeria is the British Council's largest operation in SSA with offices in four cities: Lagos, Port Harcourt, Abuja and Kano. NSRP is a DFID-funded programme managed by the British Council (who lead a consortium including International Alert and Social Development Direct) that aims to enhance collective efforts to identify and respond effectively to potential sources of violent conflict in Nigeria and reduce the negative impacts of conflict on the most vulnerable among the Nigerian population.
- The programme operates from five regional offices in Nigeria with a programme management unit situated in Abuja. The Resources Assistants will be based in regional offices (Kano, Maiduguri, Port Harcourt, Jos and Kaduna and may be required to travel to other regional offices and the Abuja office periodically. The posts will form part of the programme support team.
- The post holders must have the ability to work in difficult environments, often with limited infrastructure or support facilities. The programme will link closely with other BC-managed work in Nigeria, notably the Justice For All (J4A) programme. The post holders will work closely with the Security Coordinator, Regional Managers, Facilities & Procurement Manager, Facilities & Procurement Officer, Logistician, Resources Assistant Abuja, Programme Officers, Programme Assistants and the finance team and will report to the Regional Managers.
Main duties include:
- Ensure that regional IT equipment are properly maintained and serviced when due
- Ensure that regional GTI laptops are functioning well and that regional staff have appropriate access
- Escalate on timely basis any IT issues to be resolved
Other important features or requirements of the job:
- Periodic travel to high-risk areas is likely to be necessary following close liaison with British High Commission /BC/DFID. Regular unsocial and over-hours will be required to meet operational requirements of the post and programme. Carry out other duties not specifically stated in the Resources Assistant’s role profile as may be required by the Regional Managers and the Facilities & Procurement Manager
- Language skills appropriate to the region would be a distinct advantage
- Creating Shared Purpose (Essential). Communicating an engaging picture of how we can work together.
- Connecting with Others (More demanding). Actively appreciating the needs and concerns of myself and others.
- Working Together (More demanding). Ensuring that others benefit as well as me
- Being Accountable (Essential). Delivery my best work in order to meet my commitments
- Making it Happen (Essential). Delivering clear results for the British Council.
- Shaping the Future (Essential). Looking for ways in which we can do things better.
Skills and Knowledge
- Logistics and procurement
- IT skills
- Not less than one year experience in logistics and procurement.
- Similar sector experience
First degree or equivalent
Method of Application
The British Council is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and is keen to reflect diversity of UK society at every level within the organisation. We welcome applications from all sections of the community. In line with the British Council’s Child Protection policy, any appointment is contingent on thorough checks. In the UK, and in other countries where appropriate systems exist, these include criminal records checks.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.