The Education Sector Support Programme in Nigeria (ESSPIN) is a six year DFID programme of education development assistance and is a part of a suite of programmes aimed at improvements in governance and the delivery of basic services.
ESSPIN’s aim is to have a sustainable impact upon the way in which government in Nigeria delivers education services and
is directed at enabling institutions to bring about systemic change in the education system, leveraging Nigerian resources in support of State and Federal Education Sector Plans and building capacity for sustainability.
It is currently operating in six States (Kano, Kaduna, Kwara, Enugu, Jigawa and Lagos) and at the Federal level.
The Specialist will work with state partners and to the State Team Leader and with the other Specialists to document and disseminate examples of good practice and will contribute to the monitoring and evaluation of the programme at the state level. The Specialist will develop and contribute to the lesson learning process at the state level, recording successes and obstacles in processes undertaken, developing and contributing to opportunities for reflection and seeking opportunities for dissemination as appropriate.
The State-based Access and Equity Specialist will
- On a quarterly basis, review and agree with the State Team Leader and the Lead Specialist in Community Engagement and Learner Participation objectives and targets as well as budgets for activities related to Access and Equity/ School Community Interaction in the State
- Draw up quarterly work plans to be agreed with the State Team Leader and the Lead Specialists in Community Engagement and Learner Participation
- Provide direct specialist inputs as per agreed work plans, interacting with government and other stakeholders as necessary, and overseeing the work of organisations contracted at the state level as appropriate in collaboration with state partners
- Provide briefing and guidance on State-specific conditions and issues to visiting short-term consultants
- On a regular basis, work with Social Mobilization Department of SUBEB to support SBMC development in the state and ensure timely report of outcomes
- Participate in regular specialist team meetings for the Community Engagement and Learner Participation.
- Submit monthly reports to the State Team Leader and the Lead Specialist in Community Engagement and Learner Participation.
- A minimum of a degree-level qualification in a relevant area and experience of working in education, community development or social sector reform in Nigeria
- Extensive experience of working with communities and CSOs
- Experience of providing professional inputs in development assistance programmes
- Experience of working with Nigerian government and civil society groups
- Practical knowledge of educational development issues in Nigeria.
- Knowledge of current international literature on Social Development and Community sensitisation and mobilisation
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation and of qualitative research methodology
- Knowledge of Nigerian Government structures and systems particularly Kano state context
- Knowledge of the capacity constraints that may hamper effective and efficient action
- Ability to manage
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.