Experience: 4-5 years
Contract length: 9 months
Available Position: 1
The agronomist, would provide supervision for all the project Agricultural activities, under the direct supervision of the Livelihood Field Coordinator, implement and monitor the agriculture related activities, following WFP and DHCBI recommendations, procedures, schedules and deadlines. Also Pre and Post Activities Monitoring as well as other monitoring and evaluation activities, specifically on Natural Resource Management, Reforestation, Nursery management, Crop Production, micro-gardening, home school gardening, Agricultural Market linkage, Post-Harvest Management, irrigation management, etc.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- The Agronomist with IGA officer will be responsible for mobilizing the targeted beneficiaries and create awareness about the project activities; make sure that the projects’ objectives and the selection criteria are well understood and accepted by the communities
- Establish and maintain good relations with local beneficiaries and communities in the area of intervention to know their perceptions of the operations and to understand the needs, complaints, and major events that may have an impact on the activities.
- Listen to the beneficiaries in the field and report to his/her project manager any non-technical or safety-related issues which could affect the activities or safety of DHCBI staff.
- Participate in the identification of the beneficiaries of agricultural inputs’ distribution, in collaboration with local authorities and line manager.
- Participate in the distribution(s), for both micro-vegetable gardening and main food crops cultivation (input distribution, trainings, set up, maintenance, monitoring, reporting, etc.)
- Ensure the proper follow-up of the beneficiaries and provide them with adequate technical support during activities
- Participate in identifying the training needs among the beneficiaries and propose appropriate contents and training support material for the training sessions and awareness messages to be disseminated
- Conduct training sessions among the beneficiaries and ensure day-to-day technical support
- Ensure the day-to-day implementation of the activities and report difficulties met quickly to his/her direct supervisor
- Support the procurement team leader in the definition of technical specification of agricultural inputs. Propose relevant activity to undertake to his/her direct manager for the preparation of the weekly planning
- Participate in the monitoring of the activities in the field and data collection, according to the direct manager needs
Reporting and communication:
- Draw up and submit a weekly report to Livelihood Coordinator
- Report back any problems and constraints encountered during the course of the activities, including safety issues, to his/her Livelihood Coordinator
Professional experience: 5 years of experience in similar position (NGO/Private or Public sector) - Humanitarian experience is a plus. Languages: English (mandatory), Kanuri, and Hausa,
- BSc Degree/HND in Agricultural Science/ Agronomy / Environment / Forestry/ Horticulture
- Project related skills: good knowledge of the project cycle, project implementation, project follow-up
Computer/Other Technical Requirements:
Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint