The National Coalition on Gas Flaring and Oil Spills in the Niger Delta (NACGOND) would require a Project officer within its operation in addressing the lingering environmental degradation associated with oil spill, gas flare and illegal oil bunkering in the Niger Delta.
The Project Officer would manage the entire day to day activities of the coalition and report directly to the National Coordinator of the coalition.
Overall Coalition Objectives:
- To address the already failed system of oil spill and gas flare response currently practiced by
- Govemment and oil majors through a non-violent approach.
- To ensure that all Environmental Impact Assessment (EtA) and Joint Investigation Visit (JIV) must be made participatory and transparent in order to restore confidence in the present broken system.
- To develop a platform for focused and critical dialogue between oil producing communities, civil society groups, oil majors and the Nigerian govemment to identify the problems with the current oil spill and gas flare response system, plus finding workable long term sustainable solutions.
- To develop a new independent mechanism that would conform to intemational best practice to prevent, identify, respond to and quickly compensate for oil spills, however they are caused.
- To work towards the involvement of civil society in independent monitoring of EIA reports, major oil and gas deals, infrastructure and installations (refineries, LNG projects etc.).
- To build the capacity of the different stakeholders, especially local oil producing communities on oil spills reporting, mitigation and processes.
- To facilitate research on the different issues relating to gas flaring and oil spills especially on impacts, policy and legiSlative frameworks and institutions.
- To advocate for a reduction or an end to the incidents of gas flaring in the Niger Delta.
- Proposal writing for the NGOs programmes/projects.
- Sensitizing communities on basic socio-economic rights and obligations of govemment and mobilize for advocacy for clean-up of oil spills and gas flares and its eradication.
- Handle monthly media briefings and media campaigns.
- Carry out research and documentation on oil spills. gas flares and illegal refinery activities.
- Perform activities involving Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Joint Investigation Visit
- (JIV) with regulatory agencies and oil companies.
- Supervising and managing all Coalition's programmes and major activities.
- MSc in Environmental Science or related subject
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate suitable years of work experience and proven ability in environmental and project management
- Good communication and report writing skills
- Must exhibit high levels of good team working skills, people management skills, professionalism,
- integrity and ethical values at all times.
Method of Application
Qualified and interested applications should be sent with a covering letter. and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Cc: kemjika@Stakeholderdemocracy.org
ONLY SHORT LISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED. For further information please visit www.nacgond.org or
#13 Location Road,
Off Tombia Street,
Orazi, Port Harcourt,