The University of Maiduguri was created in 1975 as one of the second-generation Universities, which formed part of the programmes of the Third National Development plan (1975-80) by the then Federal Military Government. At inception, the university did not have physical structures of its own, but in April 1976 it inherited the premises owned by the former North East College of Arts and Science (NECAS).
We invites applications from suitably qualified candidates with experience in University administration for the position below:
- In accordance with the relevant provisions of the University Act (no. 11) 1993 as amended by the Universities (Miscellaneous Provisions) (Amendment) Act 2012, the Governing Council of the University is inviting interested candidates with requisite qualifications and experience to apply for the post of the University Librarian which will expire on 16th March, 2020.
- The University Librarian shall be a Principal Officer of the University, responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the administration of the University Library and the Coordination of all library services in the
- University and its campuses, College/Faculties, Schools, Departments, Institutes and other Teaching or Research Units.
Academic/ Professional Qualifications
The candidate must possess the following:
- A good first degree in any subject plus Ph.D Degree in Library and Information Science from a recognised institution.
- At least fifteen (15) years work experience, ten (10) of which must be in a University.
- A strong evidence of contribution to library and information field through research and publication in reputable journals.
- A good knowledge of ICT will be an added advantage.
Conditions of Service
- The successful candidate for the post of the University Librarian shall be paid the salaries of University Librarians of Federal Universities, with retiring age of 65 years (or 70 years in the case of a Professor) and are entitled to appropriate academic allowances of the academic staff, and other allowances and privileges as a Principal Officer.
- The successful candidate shall hold office for a single term of five years only beginning from the effective date of appointment.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified should forward one (1) soft and twenty five (25) hard copies of their typed applications attached with photocopies of certificates claimed and Curriculum Vitae containing such personal details as:
- Full name (surname first),
- Date and Place of Birth
- Current and permanent home addresses
- Educational institutions attended with dates
- Positions held with dates
- Work experience
- Present post and salary
- Names and addresses of three referees
- One of whom must be the candidate’s present or former Head of Department. The candidate’s present or former Head of Department.
The application should be addressed and sent to:
University of Maiduguri,
P.M.B. 1.069, Maiduguri
Note: The application should bear the post applied for boldly at the top left hand corner of the envelope Applicants should ask their referees to send their references directly to the Vice-Chancellor Those below the rank of Principal Librarian need not apply