Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
Position Start Date : Beginning of March 2020
Duration : 12 months
Location : Maiduguri - Nigeria
Terre des hommes does not set closing dates for this position; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled
Tdh has established a Country Office in Nigeria since the last quarter of 2017 to join the Lake Chad Basin Crisis whole humanitarian response from this country. Up to now, the organization is operating only in Borno State, essentially in the Eastern Part of the State -> the “Eastern Crescent” of the State. Tdh is targeting people's affected by the crisis by addressing some humanitarian gaps related to the access to some primary needs or social basic services.
The Coordination team will provide financial and risk management service to Tdh Country Office in Nigeria by developing business intelligence that supports program decisions and performance management.
The job holder will provide strategic overview and management of Finance, and later potentially Human Resources as well as General Administration; leading on business process reengineering initiatives that will ensure appropriate integration with user departments.
The job holder will reinforce value for money criteria in close cooperation with the program and management units.
Performance Management & Program Intelligence
- Lead the financial guidance of the activities, performing proactive monitoring and analysis to facilitate strategic decisions and continuous improvement activities
- Respond to informational requests from the country management team, the operational units, the head office, the partners, as well as be the main financial contact point for information for all on matters to do with programme support
Financial Planning & Information Management
- Lead the annual and periodical financial planning, budgeting, forecasting and reporting processes to ensure efficiency and compliance with all organisational standards of management and accountability
- Monitor grants and ensure compliance with all donor reporting requirements, including proposals, budgets and donor reporting liaising with donors and partner organizations
- Provide strategic financial counsel to the Country Director and Country management team, ensuring accurate and timely financial information
- Assume a strategic overview of financial management systems across all programme/projects, taking note of changing external and internal environment in financial and economic conditions
Grant Management and Donor Reporting
- Ensure that the Finance Team provides proactive response to the Programme Team
- Manage restricted funds (e.g. EU/ECHO, USAID/OFDA, DFID, SDC, MoFAs, etc.) in collaboration with Grant Manager/Head of Quality & Monitoring to ensure best practice for compliance and financial reporting as required
- Review partner grant budgets, activity plans and partnership agreements to ensure compliance with donor requirements and Tdh's policies and procedures
- Conduct regular effective risk analysis (i.e. variance analysis, trends) and reviews for the office, ensuring proper financial and operational controls are in place
- Create strategies to mitigate financial and operational risk, working closely with Country Director
- Lead Pre-audits, expenditure verifications, audits and forensic audits ensuring that TORs are up to tasks and management response is properly coordinated and submitted timely
Leadership, Coordination & Capacity Building
- As a member of the coordination team, support the development of the country strategy, with a focus on ensuring sufficient capacity and support in program operations
- Promote and shape the Tdh culture by facilitating spaces of participation and contribution across the various programs and support functions
- Support local partner capacity building in financial planning, management and reporting.
- Pilote the recruitments application phase; treating the contracting
- Supervise the appraisal process of the employees
- Track the career development in Tdh Nigeria
- Education: Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics or closely related field i.e. in the areas of Project management, social sciences or a combined professional qualification.
- Language: Excellent oral and writing skills in English C2
- Experiences and aptitudes: At least 3 years previous experience of seniority in an NGO at a management position in the field (expatriation)
- Successful track record of developing humanitarian strategies and securing high levels of funding from institutional donors (e.g. EU/ECHO, USAID/OFDA, DFID, SDC, MoFAs, etc)
- Experience managing campaign and long term program budgets of over €7 million and reporting to relevant donors.
- Critical focus on providing a superior service level to managers and colleagues and delivering agreed results within time and budget constraints and to expected standards
- Good leadership skills: experience of working in a supervisory position with a team structure
- Ability to work well and punctually under pressure
- Commitment to an organisation overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of the organisation work
- A commitment to excellence; attention to detail
Expatriate contract under Swiss labour code 3 400 CHF (~2 950 €) < > 4 750 CHF (~4 100 €) net salary/month according to experience x 13, Annual Leave: 25 days per year. Contract includes also local accommodation and transportation, health and repatriation insurance, return flight.
Tdh Global Code of Conduct and Risk Management Policies :
- Fully complies with Tdh’s Global Code of Conduct and systematically reports any breach to the Code through the whistleblowing procedure: raises awareness within the Foundation on abuse and violence and the rights deriving therefrom, respecting the rights and dignity of children, members of the communities and our own Staff
- Commits to respecting Risk Management Policies including: Safeguarding Policies (Child Safeguarding Policy, Policy on the Protection against Sexual Exploitation and the Directive on Staff Misconduct at the Workplace), Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption and Prevention of the Financing of Criminal Activities Policies
- Commits to reducing the risk of abuse and harm by developing a culture of open and informed leadership within the organization and in our work with children and the communities in which we intervene in.
We offer an exciting and varied work, useful and meaningful, in a team that wants to make a difference for vulnerable children.
Are you interested? Do you want to face this challenge?
Method of Application
Application files sent through our official website will be processed only if complete (CV + cover letter). Additional documents (diplomas, work certificates, etc.) will be requested at a later stage.
We will be in touch with the shortlisted candidates only in the selection process – with the large number of applications received, we unfortunately cannot provide personal follow-up to the larger candidate pool. Thanks for your understanding.
For any questions you can consult the FAQ below the job advertisements.
To know more about Terre des hommes: https://vimeo.com/253387418
Interested and qualified? Go to Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh) career website on application.careerbuilder1.eu to apply