One Acre Fund is a growing organization; increasing the number of clients we serve each year and the number of countries in which we operate. One Acre Fund is looking for a Government Relations Specialist (GRS) to be based in Minna, who will be the primary contact for the local Ministry of Agriculture and other government officials, traditional leaders and external partners, establishing our program in Nigeria.
You will report to the One Acre Fund’s Government Relations Analyst based in Abuja, and to the Nigeria Country Manager based in Minna. You will demonstrate an understanding of local government structures, have an interest in agriculture, be prepared to travel frequently within Niger State.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Engage partners and local government officials of all levels with a view to deepening and broadening One Acre Fund’s State and local government networks in Nigeria.
- Create project plans and budgets, and manage concurrent projects
- Support the scoping, development and management of program partnerships, with support from the manager.
- Produce communications materials to engage important contacts and keep them informed of our work, including quarterly reports, briefing notes, and official written correspondence.
- Provide training to One Acre Fund staff on best practices for working with government officials, and other capacity-building support.
- Track and manage risks and issues from local government affecting field operations.
- Track and manage One Acre Fund’s database of important contacts and interactions in Nigeria.
- Host important partner events (e.g. field visits) and oversee participation in agricultural shows and other external events. Ensure government protocols are observed at all hosted events.
- Assist program expansion through relationship management with relevant authorities in new or targeted areas of operation.
- Track and renew licenses and permits required for our operations.
- Research policies, regulations, programs and political developments relevant to field operations.
- Engage field leadership to remain informed of the latest developments with our program and trials, through:
- Regular attendance at FO/Field Leader Meetings
- Monthly meetings with Field Team and Innovations lead(s)
- Other responsibilities, as assigned.
If you have experience in these areas, please highlight them in your application.
One Acre Fund invests in building management capacity. We provide constant, relevant feedback delivered through weekly meetings and regular career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking professionals with a minimum of three (3) years of work experience, some of which will have been in or working alongside government institutions in Nigeria. You will demonstrate a long-term passion for agricultural development in Nigeria and be familiar with the challenges faced by smallholder farmers in Niger State. Please only apply if you fit these criteria:
- Undergraduate degree from a recognized academic institution required. Candidates with graduate studies and degrees will be given additional consideration.
- Work experience in government, business or NGO environments, especially work planning and executing on task with minimal oversight.
- At least 2-year experience working in/with government or in community development roles
- At least 1-year experience managing government or partner relationships
- Knowledge of sub-national Nigerian government and traditional structures is required.
- Must be able to produce simple documents (emails, letters, etc.) and independently develop and use basic project tools and budgets
- A willingness to commit to living in Minna for a long-term position
- Leadership and management experience at work or outside of work
- Experience setting and meeting targets
- Fluency in English and Hausa required.
- Passionate about serving smallholder farmers
Please highlight the following skills if you have them:
- Experience working in agriculture or rural development
- Experience managing events
- Background in dealing with government officials at local and national levels
- Experience working with diverse teams, coordinating meetings, and making strategic recommendations
- Experience managing people
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible.
Determined by experience
Health insurance paid time off, relocation allowance
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
No; Must have existing rights to work in Nigeria.