Avocats Sans Frontières France (ASF France) - Lawyers Without Borders France is an international non-governmental organization, created in 1998, for the promotion and protection of fundamental human rights. Its core mission is to defend, wherever it may be necessary, fundamental human rights by sustaining the development of the rule of law, access to justice, the fight against injustice and the right to a fair trial, through the defence work of independent and impartial lawyers. ASF France was granted the status of UN observatory in 2004.
ASF France mission in Nigeria:
Active in Nigeria for more than a decade, ASF France is currently implementing human rights project on promoting international human rights standards on anti-torture and death penalty issues. Within the context of these projects, ASF France and its partners provide free legal assistance, conduct trainings and organize awareness and sensitization activities.
With legal, technical and financial support from ASF France, the support lawyer will provide free legal assistance to victims of torture in Lagos state.
- Establish the contact with the prison(s) and obtain permit to conduct prisons visit.
- Carry out prison visits to interview clients, identify the victims' needs and identify cases within the scope of the project.
- Monitor 15 cases of victims of torture during the project duration.
- Ensure an individual follow-up of approved cases and monitoring them by weekly phone contact.
- Carry out all the proceedings for the defence of the victims: prepare and file appropriate applications before the Court, be present at the hearings, obtain judgements in all project related cases, etc.
- Maintain contact with victims during and after conclusion of cases.
- Use pre-established tools and reporting methods for case documentation and monitoring.
- Monthly visits to stakeholders to promote interactions between judicial actors and ASF France.
- Preparation of high level meetings and agenda for the legal manager’s field visit and mission to the state.
- Preparation for logistics for trainings and project activities when scheduled within the state.
- Be part of a Franco-Nigerian legal team.
- Work under the supervision of the Head of Office and the ProCAT legal manager in charge of the Legal aid activity in Abuja.
- Must report to the ASF France office in Abuja and to ASF France legal team in France.
- Minimum of 10 years proven experience in litigation and active private legal practise.
- Proven experience in human rights litigation and rights enforcement mechanisms.
- Proven experience in prisons visit and interviews.
- Interest and passion for human rights law issues.
- Strong commitment to pro bono activities.
- Availability and strong commitment to handling cases to logical conclusions.
- Ability to secure and organize high level meetings within the state.
- Involvement in justice sector reform in the state.
Service contract of 11 months with a 3 months’ probation period.
Method of Application
Send a résumé and cover letter before December 31, 2019
Kindly indicate ‘Application- ProCAT Support Lawyer- Lagos’ in the subject of the email, applications not so stated will not be reviewed.