Oxfam in Nigeria is an international nonprofit organization committed to ridding the world of poverty. We have a conviction that once given the chance to do so people are well capable of building a livelihood without poverty on their own. To do this, we work with local organizations, build their capacity and provide strategic funding to local projects in developing countries. We also lobby governments and companies to take into account the interests of the poorest people, and campaign to involve men and women also in our work. Oxfam seeks to hire
Ensure that country security strategy is developed, implemented, monitored and reviewed; consistent with Oxfam policies, standards and requirements
- Ongoing analysis of the context and developments in relation to the security situation.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date context analysis and risk assessment.
- Develop and maintain an incident reporting system.
- Maintain close contacts with all relevant stakeholders to develop a network and build relationships with key actors to ensure gathering of reliable security information.
- Undertake regular and ad hoc security assessment missions as necessary, in order to gather information and to analyse the overall security situation in existing and potential areas of intervention.
- Support country management staff to develop a security management system which includes a security management strategy (including detailed acceptance strategy) and plan and which allows for the continuous updating of security measures.
- Advice and support the Country Director with regard to implementing the security management system.
- Ensure the security management system is in line with existing Oxfam security policy, protocol and approach.
- Support the Country Director and other senior staff to manage security incidents.
- Provide crisis management support to the managers senior management for incident response, reporting and analysis.
- Ensure that the supporting departments (HR, Administration and Logistics) have in place an appropriate system to facilitate good security management.
- Ensure that staff have the security skills and awareness that they need to be effective, by providing appropriate learning and development opportunities, including delivering training.
- Ensure that all staff and visitors receive appropriate briefing.
- Ensure that an appropriate system is in place to provide security information to travellers in advance of their departure.
· With local stakeholders such as government, (I)NGO’s, UN, partners, communities to share and exchange information.
· With Country Director and senior management staff to inform and co-ordinate on security issues.
· With Security Advisor at HQ or regional level if applicable
· With relevant staff in order to ensure that the security management system complements the program and advocacy activities and vice versa.
· With the relevant support staff in order to ensure that all logistical, financial, IT, HR and administrative elements of the security management system are in place.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- Considerable practical experience of security assessment, planning and implementation of procedures in the context of UN or NGO humanitarian operations,
- Proven influencing and negotiating skills with internal and external audiences including in complex and stressful circumstances.
- Proven experience of field based training.
- Ability to advice and support field staff in a consultative manner.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, together with the capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities. Must be organised and efficient.
- A sound understanding of the importance of gender.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Willingness to travel at short notice, and often in difficult circumstances.
- Committed to Oxfam principles
- Ability to speak English and ideally a working knowledge of the local language
- Required work experience: 5 years or more
- Should reside in the North East preferably Adamawa and willing and able to travel in Northern Adamawa and when necessary on short notice
If you are interested, please send a motivational letter and curriculum vitae in English to email@example.com to the Human Resource Officer, not later than August 8, 2014. Further enquires on these positions can be sent to
Human Resource Officer
Human Resource Officer
13 Korogho Close
Off Monrovia Street
Aminu Kano Crescent, Wuse II
Tel: +23497830945, +2347086625290, +2348038572755, +23480856628961