The Benue State University, Makurdi was established in 1991. by the Government of Benue State. As the first State-owned University in Northern Nigeria, the University’s Vision is anchored on excellence and dedicated to creating knowledge and developing a complete person capable of not only responding to the cultural, political and economic needs of the environment, but also setting the agenda for change.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
- The University Librarian is the Administrative Head of the Library and shall be responsible to the Vice Chancellor for the day-to-day administration of the University Library
- The University Librarian shall be responsible for the administration of the Library Services in the University and its Campuses, Colleges, Departments, Centres and Research Units.
Qualification and Experience
Candidates must possess:
- A minimum of twelve years cognate teaching/library experience at the University level, plus a Ph.D;
- A Minimum of three years as Deputy Librarian or equivalent in a University;
- Considerable background in research with a minimum of 30 points in high quality publications and a minimum of 15 publications in circulation and three acceptances
- Should be principal author in at least 50% of joint publications and not more than 50% of publications should come from journals/publishing houses based in locality;
- Continuous productive research activity with the achievement of the status of an acknowledged authority in area of specialization;
- Dissemination of knowledge through academic and professional activities;
- Administrative ability and experience;
- Impeccable integrity and character.
Conditions of Service
- Conditions of service are as applicable in Federal/State owned Universities, save as the Governing Council of the University may modify from time to time.
- Salary: CONUASS 7 i.e. (N2,485,099.00 - N3,209,140.00 per annum).
- The University Librarian shall hold office for five years.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit 15 copies of their Applications along with copies of certificates and Curriculum Vitae outlining:
- Full Names;
- Date and Place of Birth;
- State of Origin:
- Local Government of Origin;
- Marital Status;
- Number of Children;
- Permanent Home Address;
- Correspondence Address;
- Educational institutions attended with dates and qualifications obtained;
- Professional qualifications obtained with dates;
- Working Experience;
- Names and addresses of three referees, two of who be in position to give academic and professional reference reports on the applicant(s).
All Applications, with "Post of University Librarian" clearly marked on the Envelope, should be addressed and sent to:
Benue State University,
- Applicants must include in their applications a signed statement of not more than five pages, detailing at least 5 strategic initiatives they would drive in the Library in support of the University's Vision and Mission if given the opportunity.
- The Benue State University Library is fully automated. Applicants must be computer literate.
- Applicants are advised to contact their referees to send their reference reports under confidential cover directly to the address above
- Only applications of shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.