Type of Contract: Service Contract
Post Level: SB-4
Duration of Initial Contract: 1 year
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Spotlight Initiative is a global partnership between the United Nations (UN) and the European Union (EU) to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls in support of the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development. It was launched in September 2017 by the UN Secretary-General and the EU High Representative and Vice President (HRVP).
The 500 million Euro Initiative provides a model for partnerships with donors, civil society, and the UN to deliver on the SDGs in a comprehensive manner leveraging comparative expertise. SDG 5 and the achievement of gender equality are placed at the centre of efforts (alongside Goal 16) with the aim to provide an enabling environment for the implementation of all goals. Within the UN, the Initiative will operationalize the UN development system reforms and model a new way of delivering on the SDGs in an integrated way, leveraging collaborative advantages. Three Core Agencies: UNDP (the United Nations Development Programme, the United Nations Population (UNFPA) and UN Women) will work together with other UN agencies to make large-scale investments in priority countries.
Reporting to the Programme Specialist- Technical Coherence, Spotlight Initiative, the Programme Officer (PMS) will be responsible for the delivery of UN Women interventions and results in the area of prevention and mitigation/services provision under the Spotlight Programme. He or she also provides substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation. He or she ensures appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary
She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women staff, Government officials, academic institutions, multi and bi-lateral stakeholders and civil society working to address prevention and service provisions to ensure successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute technically to the development and implementation of the Spotlight programme strategies and interventions for the prevention and mitigation of SGBV and Harmful Practices
- Coordinate engagement with traditional leaders and other community stakeholders on ending child marriage, female genital mutilation and cutting.
- Coordinate training on EVAW among Spotlight CSOs.
- Support CSOs on effective inclusion of persons with special needs and intersecting vulnerabilities.
- Coordinate with CSOs to meaningfully engage with communities on prevention and response to incidences of violence against women and girls.
- Support Technical Coherence Specialist in program development and relations with local partners, community workers/volunteers and GBV stakeholders.
- Support technical coherence specialist to provide technical assistance to CSOs on safe space activities, monitoring, tracking of progresses and closely mentor GBV case workers on programmatic knowledge and skills.
- Support Technical Coherence Specialist to provide technical support and supervision to CSOs in the development and implementation of outreach strategy that is in line with program log frame and work plans
- Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners, as needed
- Support CSOs to implement inter-connected interventions across Spotlight states
- Support technical coherence specialist to organize EVAWG interventions especially international commemorations and other EVAWG programmes as assigned
Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts:
- Provide substantive technical support to inform inter-agency coordination and related activities by drafting background reports and briefs; organizing trainings, workshops and developing knowledge products;
- Support the development of briefing notes for advocacy visits
- Support the coordination and the development of knowledge management methodologies, and products on Spotlight Initiative.
Provide technical support to inter-agency coordination on Spotlight Initiative to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in the country:
- Support the implementation of cross cutting Spotlight Initiative inter-agency activities
- Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated
Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme:
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of donor and UN Women reports with specific focus on prevention and service provisions outcomes
- Support UN Women civil society organizations to develop data monitoring tools
- Collate monthly reports of CSOs, review and provide feedback
- Collate and review quarterly reports of Federal and State Ministry of Women’s affairs and provide feedback
- Prepare quarterly donor report for technical coherence specialists review
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality substantive inputs programme strategies and activities;
- Timely and quality substantive inputs to workplans and budgets;
- Adherence to UN Women standards and rules;
- Timely monitoring and tracking of programme results and finances;
- Relationship with partners and stakeholders;
- Timely organization of events;
- Quality of knowledge and advocacy products.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example.
- Strong knowledge in thematic area
- Strong programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making
- Strong networking skills
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certification:
- Master's Degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Human Rights, Gender/Women's Studies, International Development, or a related field is required
- A First-Level University Degree in combination with three additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the Advanced University Degree.
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible work experience in development programmes/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building;
- Knowledge and experience in providing oversight for implementation of GBV response services, including managing implementation of civil society organizations around EVAW
- Experience in similar intervention like the Spotlight Initiative is an asset;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
- Knowledge of a Nigeria Language is an asset.