Litigation Counsel in a Legal Services Firm
Posted on: 17 July, 2014
Deadline: 31 July, 2014
View Jobs in Law / Legal
View All Jobs at Stresert Services Limited
Stresert Services Limited - One of the leading legal practitioners and arbitrators in the Nigerian legal sector is looking to hire a Senior Litigation Counsel immediately.
To contribute to the smooth and efficient conduct of litigation and outside counsel including coordinating and directing case strategy, discovery, drafting/editing pleadings and interviewing and preparing witnesses and negotiations.
Description of Duties:
- All administrative tasks required for the post.
- Drafting applications to the Courts and having conduct of the case through to judgment being obtained.
- Dealing with any matters concerning the enforcement of judgments.
- Clarifying with client officers any difficult areas and dealing with and responding to any defences and/or counter claims lodged.
- Drafting summonses, complaints and indictments in connection with prosecutions by the Council
- Attending the Court and other Tribunals and advocating on behalf of the Council in litigation actions.
- Providing litigation support to the solicitors in the Litigation Team, including without limitation, preparing witness statements, dealing with discovery and attending court with Counsel.
- Deal with enquiries from solicitors and other external agencies and advice the client of the next step accordingly.
- Negotiating and drafting Consent Orders, directions with the Defendants (or their representatives) and presenting such documentation before the Court as required.
- Attending possession action hearings, negotiating with representatives and preparing and advising of witnesses prior to hearings.
- Attending Defendants’ applications to set aside Judgments and suspended Warrants of Possession.
- Responsible for maintaining the central register of Judgments and Charging Orders and dealing with related enquiries, applications and cancellations.
- Responsible for the preparation of documentation and conduct of emergency injunction proceedings on behalf of the Local Authority in accordance with any relevant legislation.
- Any other duties relevant for the work of the Section as determined by the post holder’s line manager.
- Candidate must be a graduate of Law with minimum of 8 - 10 years at the Bar
- Active litigation Arbitration experience
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to write, and speak English fluently
- The ideal candidate must be organized and pay attention to detail. Small errors or omissions can lose or derail a case.
- Excellent writing skills with little or no review needed.
- The candidate needs to be able to work with a variety of people and have coping skills to handle difficult personalities, ranging from co-workers to clients.
- The litigation applicant must have knowledge of the court systems and how they work.
- Experience working in drafting motions, briefs and preparing for trials is necessary.
Method of Application
Qualified candidates should please forward CVs to: email@example.com using ‘LITIGATION’ as the subject of your application. Only experienced and qualified candidates will be shortlisted and invited for interviews.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Stresert Services LimitedSimilar Jobs
- Senior Associates at Osibogun and Partners
- Chief Operating Officer at a Top-tier Full-service Law Firm - KPMG Nigeria
- Business Development Manager at a Reputable Law Firm - Bradfield Consulting