Litigation Counsel in a Legal Services Firm
Posted on: 17 July, 2014
Deadline: 31 July, 2014
View Jobs in Law / Legal
View All Jobs at Stresert Services Limited
Stresert Services Limited - One of the leading legal practitioners and arbitrators in the Nigerian legal sector is looking to hire a Senior Litigation Counsel immediately.
To contribute to the smooth and efficient conduct of litigation and outside counsel including coordinating and directing case strategy, discovery, drafting/editing pleadings and interviewing and preparing witnesses and negotiations.
Description of Duties:
- All administrative tasks required for the post.
- Drafting applications to the Courts and having conduct of the case through to judgment being obtained.
- Dealing with any matters concerning the enforcement of judgments.
- Clarifying with client officers any difficult areas and dealing with and responding to any defences and/or counter claims lodged.
- Drafting summonses, complaints and indictments in connection with prosecutions by the Council
- Attending the Court and other Tribunals and advocating on behalf of the Council in litigation actions.
- Providing litigation support to the solicitors in the Litigation Team, including without limitation, preparing witness statements, dealing with discovery and attending court with Counsel.
- Deal with enquiries from solicitors and other external agencies and advice the client of the next step accordingly.
- Negotiating and drafting Consent Orders, directions with the Defendants (or their representatives) and presenting such documentation before the Court as required.
- Attending possession action hearings, negotiating with representatives and preparing and advising of witnesses prior to hearings.
- Attending Defendants’ applications to set aside Judgments and suspended Warrants of Possession.
- Responsible for maintaining the central register of Judgments and Charging Orders and dealing with related enquiries, applications and cancellations.
- Responsible for the preparation of documentation and conduct of emergency injunction proceedings on behalf of the Local Authority in accordance with any relevant legislation.
- Any other duties relevant for the work of the Section as determined by the post holder’s line manager.
- Candidate must be a graduate of Law with minimum of 8 - 10 years at the Bar
- Active litigation Arbitration experience
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to write, and speak English fluently
- The ideal candidate must be organized and pay attention to detail. Small errors or omissions can lose or derail a case.
- Excellent writing skills with little or no review needed.
- The candidate needs to be able to work with a variety of people and have coping skills to handle difficult personalities, ranging from co-workers to clients.
- The litigation applicant must have knowledge of the court systems and how they work.
- Experience working in drafting motions, briefs and preparing for trials is necessary.
Method of Application
Qualified candidates should please forward CVs to: firstname.lastname@example.org using ‘LITIGATION’ as the subject of your application. Only experienced and qualified candidates will be shortlisted and invited for interviews.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Stresert Services LimitedSimilar Jobs
- Front Desk Officer at Legal Answers LLP
- Managing Associate at Chris Ogunbanjo LP