Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
Job ID: 13-10845
Group/Office: PDG (Program Delivery Group)
Dept/Unit: PDGGEN - Program Delivery Group
Reports To: Fund Manager
- The Grants Project Officer provides grants management support to the Tobacco Control Policy Implementation Fund project
- The Grants Project Officer (GPO) works closely with grant recipients in each of the countries and with the Fund Manager and team in Abuja and MSH home office in the development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of activities.
- Country/project overall management responsibilities include: support of work plan, budget development; grant administration support; coordination and dissemination of internal and external information flow; compliance with contractual and donor regulations and fulfillment of reporting obligations, e.g., quarterly reviews and semi-annual reviews; assist in financial management; logistics support to project activities; travel coordination; management of all project files and documents; public relations and marketing of programs; support meeting internal and external project management deadlines;
- The GPO is a point of contact for project technical staff requiring administrative support. The PO understands and adheres to MSH policies and procedures including procurement integrity and may be required to participate in procurement activities
- This position will assist in defining program goals and establish methods to accomplish them while ensuring that program performance standards are met and monitored.
- Work with the Fund Manager in the design, implementation, and monitoring of the grant program, successfully meeting clients’ needs and achieving the results assigned by the donor. Maintain in the process an excellent work climate, as well as integration and quality performance of program teams. Ensure smooth coordination with project team, finance and admin support colleagues and home office support team.
- Support the Fund Manager to ensure that all technical and operational inputs required for successful implementation of programs are in place, that the programs run smoothly, adhere to technical quality, fulfill programmatic objectives within budgetary guidelines, and comply with donor contractual requirements and applicable regulations.
- Assist the Fund Manager in the development and use of a system to monitor the implementation process of project deliverables and the quality and success of the deliverables. Including systems that make the work more efficient.
- Support integration of technical approaches and tools to programs’ design and contribute integration between country and regional program.
- Ensure that proper and timely support is provided to consultants and staff traveling to countries and arrange appropriate meetings etc. for more effective implementation of the work.
- Organize regular Project Team meetings and other management meetings as appropriate including coordinating with other staff to ensure all pre-meeting logistics are arranged, prepare agenda and supporting documents, and follow-up on action items.
Work planning & Budgeting, Financial, Grant and Contractual Support:
- Support Fund Manager in management of grants, including preparation of relevant documentation, administration and monitoring compliance. Actions will include support from the initial design of the request for proposal, application, review, selection, award, administration, monitoring and closeout of grants.
- Support the Fund Manager to monitor and maintain up-to date contractual agreements for consultants, subcontractors and outside service vendors. This includes monitoring end dates, level of effort, payment requests and travel related to the agreements.
- Support the Fund Manager in maintaining relationships and activities with government partner organizations
- Support the Fund Manger to coordinate and develop work plans, budgets and PMPs.
- Assist the Fund Manager with financial reporting requirements and tracking grants, contracts, travel.
- Support finance staff to correct/verify any unclear charges and identify other questions on expenses.
- Contribute to the development of success stories, case studies and other forms of communications and reports.
- Support the documentation of programmatic achievements of country/project activities, including donor reporting requirements, communications materials and After Action Reviews
- Arrange meeting, workshop and conference schedules, travel agendas, and other activities as required by the Fund Manager.
- Perform secretarial duties, including preparation of correspondence, manuscripts, etc., and take responsibility for Fund Manager office operations. Efficiently organize and reprioritize tasks, maintain records, and coordinate functions with various individuals and organizations. Handle record-keeping, word processing, telecommunications, regular project mailings and other administrative support duties; and carry out other duties as assigned by senior project staff
- Serve as coordinator for all Fund Manger led meetings. Ensuring all pre-meeting planning tasks are carried out and completed efficiently. Keep track of progress on execution of meeting resolutions and ensure senior project members are kept informed on progress made on actions allocated
- Review each week's meetings in advance and anticipate needs for preparation, travel and accommodation, printing of documents, and gathering of background materials.
- Provide day-to-day management and coordination of communication activities in the office of Fund Managerand with backstop team at home office
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree with 4-6 years experience.
- Demonstrated sound judgment and discretion in dealing with confidential and sensitive matters.
- Significant experience in a related position with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Tact and ability to work effectively with others at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Ability to work under limited direction and ability to anticipate upcoming challenges.
- Finds innovative solutions and understands various complex processes and programs.
- Demonstrated organization, planning, time-management, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and concisely in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently in a complex and diverse organization.
- Willingness to travel approximately 10% time as needed.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet research).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Management Sciences For Health - MSH career website on jobs-msh.icims.com to apply