Country Director at BBC Media Action
Posted on: 11 July, 2014
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries. To achieve this, it partners with civil society, local media and governments to produce creative programmes in multi-media formats which inform and engage audiences around key development issues; and strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure; BBC Media Action promotes development and human rights through the three main thematic areas of:
- Governance and rights;
- Humanitarian and emergency preparedness.
BBC Media Action in Nigeria has several multi-year projects addressing health and governance through different outputs, including factual and drama. The organisation will be developing new projects in 2014-15 and requires a dynamic manager with a highly-developed understanding of media and development along with solid management experience to lead BBC Media Action in Nigeria into the next phase of development.
Overall Purpose of Job
- You will assume overall responsibility for developing and securing funds for new projects, and delivering BBC Media Action’s current project work in Nigeria to a high standard, on time and within budget. This will include identifying funding opportunities, developing funding proposals and securing funding, as well as delivering projects, managing in-country teams and ensuring the quality and cohesion of project outputs.
- The Country Director will be responsible for the financial management of projects and reporting on editorial and operational progress to London headquarters and to project donors. Representing BBC Media Action in Abuja, the Country Director will ensure effective relationships and partnerships with funding agencies, government bodies, broadcasters, NGOs, academic institutions, international development agencies and others.
- The role of will also involve leading the development and implementation of BBC Media Action’s Country Strategy for Nigeria and contributing to the development and strategy of the overall programme in Africa.
- You will have substantial management experience, ideally in a media and/or international development setting, with proven ability to deliver complex projects within deadlines and budgets. It's essential you have significant experience in managing large-scale budgets of no less than £500k p.a. You will have a strong understanding of international development and using the media for development goals, combined with a track record of developing proposals and raising funds from donor agencies.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Substantial international management experience, ideally in a media and/or international development setting.
- Excellent field-based knowledge of the development and/or media context in Africa.
- Proven track record of developing and securing funding for large complex international development or media projects.
- Substantial experience in the management of diverse and creative teams of staff, ideally to include distance management and security management.
- Significant experience in the management of budgets, with an ability to demonstrate effective use of resources including financial management of budgets of no less than £500k.
- Proven ability to deliver complex projects to deadlines and within budget, with good track record of donor liaison and reporting.
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills, with a proven track record in forming effective relationships with a range of local and international partners, including at the highest levels of government and media.
- Managing effective collaboration between partners and stakeholders, including those with differing agendas.
- Strong understanding of, and commitment to, international development—including the use of media for developmental goals.
- Demonstrable understanding of public service broadcasting and BBC editorial values.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online. Thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted by Mission Talent for follow-up.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about BBC Media ActionSimilar Jobs
- Latest Jobs at Gender Equality, Peace and Development Centre (GEPADC)
- Latest Job Vacancies at Malaria Consortium
- Business Development Advisor at Plan International
- Senior Program Officer, Special Projects at FHI 360
- Graduate Human Resource Assistant at Mercy Corps Nigeria
- Renovation and Construction of Camp Facilities, Custom House at The Agency For Technical Cooperation And Development (ACTED)
- Job Vacancies at The Agency For Technical Cooperation And Development (ACTED)
- Medical Doctor at COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale