AS Operations West Africa Ltd. (ASO) is a Nigeria-registered subsidiary of Adam Smith International (ASI). ASO provides operational support to three DFID-funded projects in Nigeria, i.e. NIAF, GEMS and ENABLE. Operational services include IT and Communications; Residential and Hotel Accommodations; Administrative Support; Domestic Ground and Air Transportation; International Travel and Protocol; and, Security Services.
Vacancy Type: 1 year contract with a possibility of renewal
Region: West Africa
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Service Areas: Security Services
About the Section:
The Security Services Section is responsible for the planning and coordination of all security-related support to the client. This includes physical security of residential and office buildings in Abuja and across the states and training and supervising the guard force; travel security for consultants who work outside of the Federal Capital Territory; carrying out political and security threat risk analyses on an ongoing basis and developing up-to-date security briefings, SOPs and evacuation plans; identifying and delivering security-related training; and, building and maintaining networks of other security professionals, both International and National, in Nigeria.
The Security Services Section supports senior management by ensuring that clients and staff are able to carry out their work safely in a dynamic and challenging security environment. The Section provides ongoing and regular feedback to its parent company, Adam Smith International, through regularly scheduled meetings and by responding to impromptu requests that require quick turnaround.
About the Role:
The Security Services Manager is responsible for all aspects of security management, crisis readiness and preparedness. He/she serves as an advisor and assists the General Manager (GM) and Security Management Team (SMT) in the execution of their security responsibilities in Nigeria.
The Manager will be resident in Abuja, Nigeria, and will be employed by ASO. Specific responsibilities will include:
· Managing the Security Plan, including preparing, maintaining and updating contingency plans and SOPs;
· Coordinating Reporting and Liaison, including chairing and participating in security meetings and developing and maintaining security contacts
· Managing Emergency Communications, including maintaining security and communications equipment and improving communication protocols;
· Managing Office and Residential Security, including implementing pedestrian and vehicle access control mechanisms, developing and delivering training and carrying out drills;
· Executing Managerial and Supervisory Responsibilities, including supervising and assessing subordinate staff and providing oversight to all operations of ASO; and
· Other Related Duties, including assessments of medical facilities, road routes, airlines and airports; coordinating investigations; providing around the clock response to security incidents including medivacs and casevacs.
A complete job description is available upon request.
· A minimum of 10 years security management experience in a mid-sized operational services company or a Minimum of 10 years policing/military experience;
· Experience writing SOPs, policies and procedures;
· Experience supervising staff;
· Above-average writing and communication skills;
· Excellent knowledge of MS Office and other software applications;
· Preference may be given to those candidates who have experience developing and delivering training;
· Preference may be given to those candidates who have overseas work experience.
What We Offer You:
· We offer you a challenging, dynamic and friendly team environment. We have a strong commitment to our people and strive to live by our principles:
o Accountability – We are individually and collectively accountable for our work;
o Resourcefulness – We encourage innovative think to reach solutions;
o Excellence – We maintain and promote professional standards;
o Achievement– We take pride in delivering our very best.
· We offer a highly competitive compensation package and excellent benefits.
Reports to: Country Director
Location: Abuja - Nigeria, with frequent trips to London and likely travel within the region.
Salary: Competitive compensation package and excellent benefits.
About the Infrastructure and Climate Change team
» 20+ years’ experience at the leading edge of infrastructure reform with a more recent focus on climate change, power sector reform, regional integration and transport corridors;
» Numerous international project management awards;
» Focus on policy, strategy, regulation, financing (private sector participation and public-private partnership) and utility reform in energy, water and sanitation, transport, urban development and climate change.
About The Nigeria Infrastructure Advisory Facility (NIAF)
» DFID’s largest technical assistance project worldwide and winner of several international awards;
» Worked closely with the Nigerian government since 2007 to tackle the country’s chronic infrastructure deficit, with a focus on private sector involvement. Typical interventions include strategic planning, attracting investment, project screening, and institutional reform;
» An excellent team of five other resident managers;
» One of three Adam Smith International projects based in Abuja.
About the Role
Ø Management of high profile programme of support to the Nigerian government.
Ø Managing a team of international and local consultants.
Ø Deciding how, what and where support can be provided to achieve maximum impact within constraints of highly political and challenging environment.
Ø Overseeing relationships with Nigerian government clients and DFID.
Ø Preparing and presenting achievements and results.
Implementing world leading development projects requires the highest calibre of people with pragmatic and transferable skillsets. Adam Smith International has a great track record of hiring the best and giving them the opportunity and autonomy to realise their potential. We are looking for a very high calibre Project Manager who combines the management skills of a professional consultant and the drive of an emerging market entrepreneur, with a healthy appetite for challenges. The experienced project manager should have:
Ø A postgraduate degree in international development, economics, business, engineering, management, or another relevant area from a top-tier university;
Ø A minimum of 4/5 years work experience in development for an international donor project, consulting or a relevant field as project manager;
Ø Demonstrated experience in business development;
Ø Experience in building and leading effective teams;
Ø A desire to travel and an enthusiasm for tackling unfamiliar and challenging problems;
Ø The ability to manage complex relationships with Nigerian government clients and donors;
Ø A pragmatic and resourceful attitude and the confidence to take difficult decisions;
Ø Excellent written and oral communication skills.
If you believe you fulfil the criteria above and would thrive in the environment we offer, we would like to hear from you. Please submit a CV (no more than 3 pages) and short cover letter to email@example.com with a subject line of “Experienced Project Manager, NIAF - ICC”. You must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for this position. Shortlisted applicants only will be contacted. Thank you for your consideration.