RTI International in collaboration with Plan International and other partners are implementing a 4-year USAID funded Effective Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (E-WASH) program. E-WASH will provide technical assistance to and will work in collaboration with State Governments to improve urban water service delivery by strengthening the governance, financial, and technical viability of six (6) State Water Boards (SWBs) in Nigeria. The overall goal is improvement of urban water and sanitation service delivery.
The overall objective of E-WASH is to assist the Government of Nigeria to expand and improve urban water service delivery by strengthening the governance, financial and technical viability of select State Water Boards (SWBs) in Nigeria. The E-WASH activity will concentrate on solidifying state, municipal, and utility level governance gains, manifested in improved water supply services, and an improved ability to regulate, manage, and expand sanitation services.
RTI International is seeking to recruit an Abuja-based Utility Technical Advisor (UTA) for the USAID E-WASH activity. The UTA will be based in the E-WASH Abuja office with regular travel to the State offices and SWB locations and will provide leadership to activities related to the engineering aspects of the program.
- Lead the design of interventions in the six State Water Boards (SWBs) in the following areas:
- Increasing of production of water from the raw water -intake, up to the treatment plants
- Review the capacities of the treatment plants and determine interventions that may be required to increase actual capacity of the plants
- Support the analysis of the treatment processes and advise
- Lead interventions in water quality laboratory assessments and advise appropriate measures to make the SWBs compliant of the national drinking water standards
- Development and support implementation of Non-Revenue Water control strategies
- Serve as a resource for state-based Utility Technical Specialists to coordinate all interventions including water production, treatment, transmission and distribution.
- Coordinate the development of any feasibility studies
- Provide leadership in other specific technical interventions including development of network maps
- Develop Asset Maintenance Management (AMM) Systems
- Design and Operationalize a Utility Support Fund for Emergency Repairs and Small-Scale Improvements to Increase Operational Efficiency
- Design strategy for increasing house connections, development of connection policies
- Assist in the preparation of technical reports, scheduling and leading meetings, advising, and drafting operating manuals.
- Develop training programs to implement policies and programs and train technical staff and other SWB personnel on policies, procedures, and compliance issues.
- Identify operational constraints and develop capital investment programs
- Explore options for private sector participation
Qualifications and Experience:
- An advanced University degree (Masters) in Civil, Mechanical or Electrical engineering or a directly related field.
- A minimum of 10 years post qualification experience in utility operations – water supply or design of water systems.
- A minimum of 5 years of senior management experience; preferable in a water utility.
- Experience in a USAID or other development partner programs is an added advantage.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates experience in collaborating across projects stakeholder groups and donor projects.
- Possesses excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Demonstrates supervisory skills.
- Possesses the ability to work effectively in a team.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit by e-mail only an Application letter and a CV as ONE SINGLE WORD document to Recruitment@ewash.rti.org
VERY IMPORTANT – On the subject LINE of your email you should only put the Email Subject line as indicated above (no other text should be on this subject line) i.e. Utility Technical Advisor (UTA)-Abuja. Applications closes on Thursday, October 10, 2019. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as they see this advert. Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an interview.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply. We offer a highly competitive renumeration. Take note that any successful candidate will be subjected to a pre-employment background investigation. For further information about RTI International, please visit our website at www.rti.org
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V