Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
Job Type: - Indefinite Period
Duty Station - MSF OCA, Benue Project – Makurdi and Ugba bases
Main objective and responsibility of the position
Support the Water, Hygiene and Sanitation (WatSan) Manager in the implementation and supervision of WatSan activities, including tools and materials employed according to MSF protocols, in order to improve health and living conditions of the target population.
Description of the responsibilities/activities
- Is responsible for the day-to-day implementation and administration of assigned WatSan activities at project level, including but not limited to, water supply, excreta disposal, waste management, vector control, and dead bodies management.
- Ensures that the MSF procedures and protocols are followed by the WatSan teams to guarantee the operational quality of the project;
- Ensures the maintenance and repair of technical equipment in the project to guarantee an adequate running of WatSan activities;
- Is responsible for the distribution of the materials and tools used in water treatment, hygiene and sanitation (e.g. physical organization and inventory of stocks, receiving and processing orders for water, sanitation and hygiene material, check that the amounts received are recorded, and check monthly consumptions, etc.);
- Supports the WatSan Manager in ensuring an appropriate emergency preparedness and response capacity (physical verification of stocks, contacts, transport means, staff training). Ensures appropriate assistance to the project response team and if required, participates in emergency activities or exploratory visits.
- Support the WatSan Manager in the team planning (e.g. staff rosters and admin, HR processes, etc.) and informs and involves the WatSan Manager in case of any major management or technical issue, and provide all required reporting.
- Plans and supervises the HR processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, tasks definition and internal and external communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required for the activity.
- Participates in data collection and reporting as required.
- Day to day management of labourers constructing latrines, showers and other similar simple infrastructure.
- Assisting WatSan manager with quality control of WatSan processes (e.g checking latrine cleanliness, routinely measuring chlorine level of drinking water, etc).
- Providing basic day-to-day support to more junior staff on areas of competency and referring other arising issues to WatSan manager.
Education Technical diploma, desirable specialization in water and sanitation
Experience Previous experience in technical works and organising of multiple activities, preferably within MSF or similar work environment.
Languages Fluent English (verbal / written) essential; Tiv, Idoma or Igede desirable
Competencies Results and Quality Orientation L2
Team work and Cooperation L2
Behavioural Flexibility L2
Commitment to MSF Principles L2
Stress Management L3
Method of Application
Submit Application Letter, latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) and photocopies of all necessary credentials with telephone contact details (daytime) in an envelope (specify on the envelope – Application for the post of WATSAN Supervisor) to the address below:
Human Resources Coordinator,
OR To: Any of MSF OCA offices in Abuja, Sokoto and Zamfara states.
Médecins sans Frontieres – Holland,
15, Padre Pio Street, Judges Quarters, Makurdi