Mercy Corps has been working in Nigeria since 2012. With a team of over 25 people, our country programs currently focus on conflict mitigation, economic development, girls’ education, and women and girls’ financial inclusion. Mercy Corps Nigeria is launching a new program, in consortium with other NGOs, aimed at promoting household economic development and financial inclusion.
MC Nigeria anticipates starting a new emergency response program in Gombe state. This one-year program will incorporate relief work and livelihood in order to address to support displaced people and host communities in Gome State.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Under supervision of Humanitarian Director, the Field Officer provides day-today oversight of all aspects of Program implementation and its wide range of activities. S/he will make sure that all activities are delivered according to the workplan and implementation strategies. Successful candidate will be able to trouble shoot and provide any necessary support. Field Officer will be responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships with partners, so to ensure transparent beneficiary targeting, smooth and timely distribution of non-food items and coordination of capacity building endeavors. S/he is an effective communicator and is able to work with a diverse team to achieve common objectives.
- Contribute towards implementation of the plan of action for OFDA funded program according to the guidelines and schedules set by the Program Manager, SPO and Field Officers and technical team
- Ensure all program activities are implemented in coordinated and timely manner.
- Ensure all aspects of distribution are managed according to Mercy Corps and donor regulations. This includes the creation of distribution plans and distribution monitoring plans that are in line with internal Mercy Corps procedures, budget and timeline.
- Coordinate selection, agreements and support to local partners for successful capacity strengthening activities.
- Guide Project Assistants to ensure that beneficiary lists are maintained based on established selection criteria.
- Work with local partners to construct distribution mechanisms that are contextually appropriate and efficient.
- Work closely with M&E team to plan and conduct all necessary post distribution monitoring.
- Work closely with technical unit to ensure high quality activities delivery
- Work closely with the Response team and Mercy Corps’ support staff and other project staff to ensure that program activities provide maximum impact in target areas.
- Work closely with logistic team on coordination of deliveries and distribution schedules
- Assist the program team in launching new assessments.
- Assist with the sharing of lessons learned and good practices for dissemination within Mercy Corps and to other agencies and interested parties.
- Develop and maintain partnership with identified groups to facilitate distributions and other activities.
- Review and modify distribution plan with partners and implementation plans with project assistants (if applicable) and field monitors
- Develop weekly movements and activities plans
- Submit weekly activity reports and maintain daily communication with the supervisor
- Provide day-to-day supervision and support to the project assistants and field monitors
- Coordinate with local government structures to ensure coordination during distributions and other activities
- Ensure community support for programs, and minimize conflicts around product distribution.
- Work closely with M&E team to design, plan and implement effective monitoring and evaluation systems to capture impact and ensure that the program is responsive to opportunities and challenges.
- Document lessons learned and submit regular field reports to the Program Manager
- Regularly coordinate with other Mercy Corps program, administrative and financial staff, local partners, government officials, community stakeholders in relation to the distribution of the program products.
- Represent Mercy Corps, in coordination with the Program Manager to local partners, community groups and local administration; participate and/or facilitate coordination and collaboration with other agencies implementing similar activities to avoid duplication and maximize sharing of lessons learned and tools.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
· BA/BS or equivalent
· At least 3 years of working experience, with minimum 1 year of supervisory experience. Previous WASH experience highly desirable
· Experience mobilizing war-affected populations and overseeing distribution of non-food items is a definite plus.
· Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members in a cross cultural environment is required.
· Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
· Proven ability to learn quickly, lead a team to achieve stated results and objectives.
· Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational and prioritization skills.
· Excellent oral and written English
· Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
· Previous experience in insecure environments.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills,
- Leadership and mentoring skills will be an asset
- Excellent planning and organizational skills are the must
- Must be a good team builder, with strong commitment to accountability towards beneficiaries
- Good sense of humor, able to effectively gather and involve people
- Honest, hardworking and committed to community work
- Willingness to travel and work with groups of various cultural, social, religious and ethnic background
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel.
- Good spoken and written English
- Excellent computer skills
Method of Application
Please submit CV and cover letter addressing the key criteria above, to email@example.com with the subject PROJECT OFFICER GOMBE by 22nd July, 2014
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale