Mercy Corps has been working in Nigeria since 2012. With a team of over 25 people, our country programs currently focus on conflict mitigation, economic development, girls’ education, and women and girls’ financial inclusion. Mercy Corps Nigeria is launching a new program, in consortium with other NGOs, aimed at promoting household economic development and financial inclusion.
Position Title: Humanitarian Director
Location: Abuja/Gombe TBD
Position Category: Full-time
Salary Level: 8
Current Employee: N/A
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Humanitarian Director is responsible for coordinating and implementing the delivery of non-food items and livelihood restoration for internally displaced and host community households in Gombe. Position includes daily management of program activities and program staff, ensuring appropriate systems and support mechanisms are in place to track, analyze and report on results.
The Humanitarian Director is a strong team leader, able to develop and mentor field team members operating in Gombe, s/he is an effective communicator, able to work remotely with internal and external stakeholders to achieve common objectives. S/he is responsible for managing relationships with local partners and international colleague agencies, beneficiaries, local authorities and donor representatives, thus contributing to achievement of agency goals through innovation, program development and displaying expertise in humanitarian programming.
The aim of the Mercy Corps response in Gombe is to provide emergency relief and livelihood assistance to displaced and host families principally through partnerships with local relief committees in Gombe state.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
· BA/BS or equivalent in international studies, economics or other relevant field; MA/S preferred.
· 6 years of international relief and development program management experience, in emergency program management.
· Previous experience in operating and managing teams in conflict and insecure environments, required
· Combination of direct and remote management experience preferred.
· Previous demonstrated experience in cash or voucher programming, preferably in insecure settings, highly desirable
· Demonstrated ability to manage and communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles.
· Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving.
· Proven ability to learn quickly, lead a program to achieve stated results and objectives.
· Experience with the development, implementation & compliance of USAID (OFDA and FFP)
· Ability to effectively represent Mercy Corps and its interests to key stakeholders.
· Experience working with host governments, national and international NGOs.
· Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational and prioritization skills.
· Excellent oral and written English
· Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
· Previous experience in insecure environments.
· Internationally recognized qualification in project or program management or a commitment to obtain the qualification in the early months of work.
Please submit CV and cover letter addressing the key criteria above, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject HUMANITARIAN DIRECTOR GOMBE by 22nd July, 2014