Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
Job ID: 19000335
Employee Status: Permanent
Reporting to: Project Manager
Child Safeguarding - Level 3.
- The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people. In the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- As part of these responsibilities the post holder will support the establishment of child safeguarding systems, promote a culture of keeping children safe, and ensure that potential harm to children (by our own staff and/or as a result of how we do our work) is identified and addressed on an ongoing basis. The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities identified in the Child Safeguarding Policy.
- This role will provide strategic leadership on advocacy for all health projects and by collaborating closely with all the Health Advocacy Advisors, Coordinators and Officers in all the national and field offices – ensuring that they work effectively as a coordinated team spearheading SC’s influencing of governments and partners.
- S/he will work closely with the, State Project Managers and Chief of Party at National & States on the implementation of the advocacy, campaign, media, social mobilization and communication strategy in Project State. S/he will also be expected to contribute to the implementation of wider Save the Children Advocacy and Campaign Strategy.
- S/he will coordinate and oversee monthly, quarterly and annual advocacy reports that feeds into donors report.
- S/he will work closely with state Child Health & Immunization Specialist (CHIS) and the SBCC teams to develop relevant materials (briefs/messages) and undertake actions to create enabling environment and promote sustainability (increasing government commitment and action) of projects.
- S/he will lead on health policy analysis and support the design and implementation of the programme within the right based programming approach.
- S/he will be responsible for leading on the development and delivery of health advocacy and financing strategy within the context of Universal Health Care.
- S/he will support the State Project Manage and the Chief of Party to promote pro-poor governance agenda in the delivery of primary health care with focus on improving quality and access to Health services and strengthening the health systems at all levels of government.
Key Areas of Accountability
- Develop and lead policy and research on health financing, health systems and Universal Health Coverage, especially for influencing national and state processes and discussions
- Support actively in the process of developing the programme short- and long-term governance and advocacy agendas. Particularly as it relates to exploring governance-related barriers to the elimination of exclusion and inequity.
- Develop and deliver advocacy strategies to influence relevant stakeholders and achieve health policy changes at national and State levels
- Play a leading role in establishing Pneumonia & infectious disease sensitive working groups at state level
- Take lead in raising awareness and garnering more commitment towards Childhood Pneumonia
- Organize major advocacy activities including commemoration of relevant International Child Health Days
- Ensure clear linkage between programmatic approaches and advocacy strategies.
- Contribute to the development of annual work plans, budgets, reports and document case studies and success stories on the relevant projects.
- Contribute to the priorities of health projects by undertaking other responsibilities as required including supporting Save the Children’s Every Last Child campaign and strategy.
Communication and Representation:
- Work with the Project Manager, and relevant advisers to develop case studies for the project and ensure that these meet Save the Children Child Safeguarding Policies (CSP),
- Develop compelling communications materials for the project based on lessons learned and experiences from the project for print and online. More specifically, ensure Childhood Pneumonia is recognized as a leading killer of children under the age of five.
- Produce reports, position papers, briefing papers, policy advocacy messaging and presentations for internal and external audiences, as directed.
- Organise events on health issues, including small high-level seminars and conferences
- Develop and maintain a professional network for governance issues within Nigeria and within SC globally.
- Organise events for dissemination of important information and messages
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self- accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Build strong influencing networks among policy makers, donors and CSOs to push the UHC agenda
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Skills & Experience
- Level of Education - Post Graduate
- Specified Study Area - Public Health / Development Economics/ Financial Economics / Development Studies
- Desired Number of Years’ experience -7 (in health/development advocacy with a focus on health financing, health governance and enhanced voice and accountability)
- Language Requirements: English - Excellent. Knowledge of local language is an asset.
- Level of IT Expertise Required - Excellent
- Profound knowledge in Nigeria governance and health systems and political terrains
- Strong knowledge of global health policy goals and commitments
- Ability to write strong position papers and policy briefings
- Strong analytical framework to clearly articulate and communicate our policy positions
- Ability to be strategic and proactive when required to be able to keep advocacy plans dynamic and aligned to new policy and political developments
- Ability to clearly communicate and easily relate to federal state authorities
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s commitment to protect children in accordance with the Child Safeguarding Policy.
Prior Experience Expectations:
- Building external networks
- Health financing background
- Strategic Planning
- Governance and Gender advocacy
- Enhanced voice accountability
- Training and Facilitation
go to method of application »
Job ID: 19000338
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- Level 3- The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- The purpose of this role is to provide technical support to systems strengthening for the implementation and delivery of key national safety net programmes. The role is also expected to support the coordination efforts of the National Social Safety Net Coordinating Office (NASSCO).
Scope of Role:
- Technical Support from - the Senior Social Protection Specialist
- The Government has prioritized social protection interventions as a key strategy towards reducing poverty and socio-economic vulnerabilities in the population. The Government of Nigeria has partnered with the World Bank under a National Social Safety Nets Project (NASSP) to support the development of safety nets in Nigeria.
- NASSP involves two components: (i) establishing systems for social safety net that would serve as a robust platform for effectively targeting and delivering social assistance; and (ii) implementing cash transfers to targeted poor and vulnerable households. The program has national coverage, with all states eligible to participate. The systems developed for NASSP in Nigeria will be used across the country’s different safety net programs, irrespective of funding source or targeted beneficiary group. Different stakeholders, such as governments, development partners, or civil society, will be able to use the systems for delivering social assistance programs in Nigeria.
- To implement NASSP, Government has established the National Social Safety Net Coordinating Office (NASSCO) to consolidate existing social safety net programs at the Federal level. Under the systems agenda of NASSP, the Government plans to develop: (i) a National Social Registry (NSR) of poor and vulnerable households based on robust targeting mechanism; (ii) management information systems (MIS), including for monitoring and evaluation and (iii) other key systems for the delivery of social safety nets. To support this work, Save the Children International will be recruiting a System Strengthening Specialist to be based in the NASSCO to provide technical support to systems strengthening for the NASSP
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Reporting to the Head of program and policy Development and Establishment of Standards (NASSCO) and the Senior Social Protection Specialist (SCI), the Social Protection Systems Strengthening Specialist will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Coordinate and maintain professional working relations with relevant partners with a view to effectively supporting the implementation of necessary complementary activities, helping to leverage their contribution while avoiding both actual and foreseeable potential conflicts of interest.
- Assist with designing and delivering strategies for strengthening NASSCO SSNs coordination activities in relation to building the social register (Community engagement, M&E/MIS and GRM)
- In collaboration with the relevant unit, develop and implement innovations on learning (NSR System Strengthening)
- Support the review and assessment of prioritised components of key SSN programmes including (Grievance, targeting, monitoring)
- Coordinate the development of systems strengthening plans for prioritised SSN programmes Provide technical support to planning, roll-out, deployment and piloting of new systems
- Support enhancement and integrate agreed recommendations, tools, guidelines into existing systems
- Develop capacity in at federal and state level on the use of the enhanced systems and new systems
- Facilitate training and development of training materials Provide quality control for systems strengthening activities.
- Provide support in documenting and tracking lessons learned for systems strengthen initiatives.
- Provide support in the preparation and drafting of technical manual, guidelines, and standard operating procedures
- Provide support in the preparation and implementation of annual work plans, quarterly and annual reports, activity reports and other related communications
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
- A bachelor's degree in the Social Sciences, such as Economics, Geography, Development Studies, Rural Development/Sociology or other related fields. A master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Any training on social protection will be an added advantage
Skills & Experience:
Administrative & General Skills:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in Social Protection, Project Management or development
- Experience working in the public sector will be an added advantage
- A successful record of accomplishment in systems building in social sectors.
- Experience building capacity of government counterparts, mentoring and training.
- Experience with social safety nets particularly cash transfer. Should have strong collaboration and networking skills.
- Experience using Political Economy Analysis (PEA) that informs on-going program iteration
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English, spoken and written
- Ability to work in partnership with government and other NGO’s staff
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work within a team setting
- Independence, adaptability and flexibility
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability and willingness to travel to projects and stay in basic conditions when necessary.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.