The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.
In most cultures volunteerism is deeply embedded in long-established, ancient traditions of sharing and support within the communities. In this context, UN Volunteers take part in various forms of volunteerism and play a role in development and peace together with co-workers, host agencies and local communities.
In all assignments, UN Volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UN Volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the direct supervision of the Coordination Specialist of the UN system and the overall guidance of the UN Resident Coordinator, the Communications/Web Officer will;
- Based in the UN Resident Coordinator’s Office, the Communications/Web Officer will work closely with the inter-agency Communications Group (UNCG) currently chaired by UNESCO.
- Proactively support the formulation and ensure timely implementation of the One UN Communication Strategy in partnership with the RCO, UNCG and UNIC;
- Strengthen the UN’s advocacy work through joint advocacy campaigns on key development issues in Nigeria; UN Days and observances;
- Support in the regular up-date of information, news, articles, press release etc. to ensure high quality and regular update of all website content;
- Support the implementation of internal communication initiatives fostering a joint UN identity and support the RCO to organize regular briefings with staff members on UN coherence and the DoA in Nigeria
- Support the coherence process with documentation and dissemination of the country experience to HQ, other country offices and knowledge/coordination practice networks;
- Strengthen the UN’s external communication overall by engaging in partnerships with key external stakeholders and ensuring coherence in the messages going out from the UN System;
- Raise general public awareness and commitment to UN coherence as it relates to the Nigerian country context;
- Oversight of the UN Nigeria website and provide editorial oversight to the bi-monthly One UN newsletter to enhance external information sharing;
- Provide communication and coordination support to the RCO including advising and implementing all public information, editorial, media (TV, print, electronic, radio) relations and outreach activities on behalf of the office;
- Organize, in conjunction with RCO,UNIC, One UN public events (including press conferences, joint agency initiatives, UN Day celebrations, etc) by managing publicity, liaising with partners, handling event logistics and ensuring media coverage,
- Draft and/or edit speeches and statements to be read by the Resident Coordinator or his representative at public events;
- Liaises with UN Cluster Advisers and ensure that communications opportunities link into global events are maintained.
- Produce results-oriented information materials that highlight programme successes, significant developments, sustainability, partnership, and national ownership, for all UN Nigeria key stakeholders;up load important programmatic documents signed on the website
- Provide communication support to high-level visits including ensuring the editorial standard of briefing notes and arranging press coverage and conferences; and
- Undertake any other assignments that may be assigned by the Resident Coordinator or delegate.
- Excellent writing, editing and presentation skills.
- Computer skills: ability to use the internet, and knowledge of Microsoft applications word, including web design and maintenance platforms;
- Strong communications expertise, conceptualization skills, and sound judgment.
- Familiarity with the aid context and development processes in Nigeria would be advantage.
- Experience with event management and media relations.
- Excellent coordination skills to facilitate inter-agency collaboration.
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks at times within short deadlines without compromising quality.
- Possess good Interpersonal skills, team spirit and positive working relationships.
- Masters degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations; or equivalent professional work experience in the communications area, Web Design combined with a university degree in a related field.
- 5-7 years of relevant work experience including work in the field.
- Fluency in English and Knowledge of any major local language in Nigeria would be an advantage
Method of Application
A 12-month contract; monthly volunteer living allowance (VLA) intended to cover housing, basic needs and utilities, equivalent to N94, 914 settling-in-grant (if applicable) Equivalent of one month VLA, i.e. N94, 914 for a 12-month assignment if candidate is recruited from outside the duty station, or pro-rated if assignment is shorter than 12 months; life, health, and permanent disability insurance; return airfares (if applicable); resettlement allowance for satisfactory service.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
The UN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale